Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Unable to start in graphics mode with QNX 7: (17 Items)

Unable to start in graphics mode with QNX 7  
Hello. Hope someone can assist. We have just installed today VMWare 14.1.1 Workstation (64 bit) on a Windows 7 64 bit OS
 -> installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64 bit); this OS is working fine. 

Next, installed the VMWare version of (time limited for 30 days) QNX 7 using the software center -> browsed to the 
installation folder and allow for VMWare to run this VMWare image. The image boots in text mode but appears to fail to 
run if under graphics mode. Repeated the same procedure with the older QNX 6.5 ISO -> runs fine under VMWare with 
graphics.

We are attempting to run the graphics version as follows:

# ./etc/graphics-start.sh <ENTER>

end up with a black screen with only the mouse pointer. Believe the screen driver is an issue. The VM is not locked and 
we can close the VM fine. 

Attempted to increase the ram size under VMWare - no difference.

Attempted to limit the graphics resolution under VMWare to 640x480 - no difference.

Any suggestions on what we are doing wrong?

Attachment: Image vmware_QNX65_ok.png 89.83 KB Image vmware_graphics.png 92.58 KB
Re: Unable to start in graphics mode with QNX 7  
There’s a setting called virtualHW.version in the .vmx file for your virtual machine.  You might like to try setting it
 to 10.  The default value (which I think is 12) doesn’t allow graphics to work at least with SDP 7 (I don’t know 
about 6.5).

On 2018-03-28, 5:44 PM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Hello. Hope someone can assist. We have just installed today VMWare 14.1.1 Workstation (64 bit) on a Windows 7 64 
bit OS -> installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64 bit); this OS is working fine. 

Next, installed the VMWare version of (time limited for 30 days) QNX 7 using the software center -> browsed to the 
installation folder and allow for VMWare to run this VMWare image. The image boots in text mode but appears to fail to 
run if under graphics mode. Repeated the same procedure with the older QNX 6.5 ISO -> runs fine under VMWare with 
graphics.

We are attempting to run the graphics version as follows:

# ./etc/graphics-start.sh <ENTER>

end up with a black screen with only the mouse pointer. Believe the screen driver is an issue. The VM is not locked 
and we can close the VM fine. 

Attempted to increase the ram size under VMWare - no difference.

Attempted to limit the graphics resolution under VMWare to 640x480 - no difference.

Any suggestions on what we are doing wrong?

QNX Momentics Community Support
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118710
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail momentics-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Thank you Roger for your very prompt post. Attempted a mix of values including 10 for that parameter and still no video 
(remains black). Attempted down to 7 for that field. Also configured the VMWare to emulate down to older workstation 6.5
-7.x 

The mouse pointer does disappear near the middle of the screen so wondering if the issue is related to the colour 
settings, yet the older QNX 6.5 boots just fine.

My .vmx file is attached.

Will test other ideas in the morning. Welcome other thoughts you may have to resolve.
Attachment: Text QNX_SDP.vmx 2.65 KB
You might run

slog2info –b screen

to get logging output from screen.  This might give a clue to you or someone else.  Unfortunately I don’t do much with 
graphics these days so you’ve exhausted my one trick for getting graphics to work.

I have a vague memory that you had to select “Enable 3D graphics support” in the virtual machine settings.

On 2018-03-28, 6:17 PM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Thank you Roger for your very prompt post. Attempted a mix of values including 10 for that parameter and still no 
video (remains black). Attempted down to 7 for that field. Also configured the VMWare to emulate down to older 
workstation 6.5-7.x 

The mouse pointer does disappear near the middle of the screen so wondering if the issue is related to the colour 
settings, yet the older QNX 6.5 boots just fine.

My .vmx file is attached.

Will test other ideas in the morning. Welcome other thoughts you may have to resolve.

http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118712
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail momentics-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

The graphics solution has changed from QNX650 (Photon) to SDP 7.0 (screen/composition manager).
There's no desktop application in SDP 7.0 so you may be seeing just a mouse because no graphics applications are running
.    Do you see anything appear on the screen if you run 'sw-vsync'?

Hello. Thanks for the advice.

Read on the VMWare website that VMWare needs to be cycled to read the updated .vmx file so did that but still no 
graphics.

Did check the box for 3D graphics but received a warning that the host does not offer this support.

I do not think we are running the sw-vsync command correctly. What is the proper way to launch this tool? Output is 
attached.

Attachment: Image sw_vsync_output.png 11.73 KB Text vmware.log 199.89 KB Image vmware_3d_graphics.png 74.09 KB
Screenshot doesn’t show you running /etc/graphics-startup.sh, have you?  The logs show no sign of screen which I would 
have expected even if it had failed.

On 2018-03-29, 11:06 AM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Hello. Thanks for the advice.

Read on the VMWare website that VMWare needs to be cycled to read the updated .vmx file so did that but still no 
graphics.

Did check the box for 3D graphics but received a warning that the host does not offer this support.

I do not think we are running the sw-vsync command correctly. What is the proper way to launch this tool? Output is 
attached.

http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118717

Attached is the log from a session after running ./etc/graphics-startup.sh script. There is a brief text flash display 
of "starting screen" text and then all black. Using vi editor, confirmed this detail is correct from the text script.

Should we run again but with the:

slog2info -b screen

and then

./etc/graphics-startup.sh
Attachment: Image sw_vsync_output.png 11.73 KB Image graphics_startup.png 7.44 KB
Did you try running sw-vsync after running  /etc/graphics-startup.sh?  It’s not clear exactly what you’re doing.  If 
screen was running properly it would just appear black since it never displays anything on its own accord.

You may have difficulty running additional commands in the console after starting screen since if nothing else, nothing 
will appear on the screen so you might want to create a script that first runs /etc/graphics-startup.sh and then runs sw
-vsync.  Or if you can connect to the target over the network (I don’t know if sshd or telnetd are running) then you 
could do it from another terminal.  When you run sw-vsync you’ll likely want to ensure the environment variables 
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and GRAPHICS_ROOT are set as in the /etc/graphics-startup.sh script.

On 2018-03-29, 11:28 AM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Attached is the log from a session after running ./etc/graphics-startup.sh script. There is a brief text flash 
display of "starting screen" text and then all black. Using vi editor, confirmed this detail is correct from the text 
script.

Should we run again but with the:

slog2info -b screen

and then

./etc/graphics-startup.sh

http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118719

Updated the graphics-startup.sh script (copied below). Still black after waiting 30+ seconds..log is attached from this 
session.

Our interest is to compile the devc-8250 and related PCI driver code to modify and/or debug for future possible designs.
 Perhaps consider to use a different and dedicated box, without VMWare?
Attachment: Text vmware.log 201.23 KB
revised script
Attachment: Image revised_graphics_startup.png 7.42 KB
You have to wait until after the ‘waitfor /dev/screen’ before you try running anything that requires graphics, screen 
won’t have had a chance to finish its initialization.

On 2018-03-29, 11:58 AM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

revised script

http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118722

You didn’t include graphics-startup.sh.

You need to run slog2info after starting screen.  The log output you show has nothing from screen and it should, even if
 it fails.

On 2018-03-29, 11:47 AM, "kumar bhatia" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Updated the graphics-startup.sh script (copied below). Still black after waiting 30+ seconds..log is attached from 
this session.

Our interest is to compile the devc-8250 and related PCI driver code to modify and/or debug for future possible 
designs. Perhaps consider to use a different and dedicated box, without VMWare?

http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118721

I think the attached is now correct :) Concerned about the file errors. In the meantime, completely removed from VMWare 
and also uninstalled this image using the Software Center tool. Then installed a fresh copy again and re-applied with 
VMWare. Launched and observed that the hard disk led is very busy on first launch but hardly at all if restarted.

For example,

2018-03-29T12:16:48.438-04:00| vmx| I125: ConfigDB: Failed to load C:\Users\lab\AppData\Roaming\VMware\config.ini
2018-03-29T12:16:48.438-04:00| vmx| I125: OBJLIB-LIB: Objlib initialized.
2018-03-29T12:16:48.438-04:00| vmx| I125: FILE: FileCreateDirectoryRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\
ProgramData\VMware): Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)
2018-03-29T12:16:48.438-04:00| vmx| I125: FILE: FileCreateDirectoryRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\
ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation): Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)
2018-03-29T12:16:48.439-04:00| vmx| I125: FILE: FileCreateDirectoryRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\
2018-03-29T12:16:48.439-04:00| vmx| I125: FILE: FileCreateDirectoryRetry: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\
ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation): Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)
2018-03-29T12:16:48.439-04:00| vmx| I125: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "C:\Users\lab\AppData\Roaming\VMware\config.
ini": The system cannot find the file specified.
2018-03-29T12:16:48.439-04:00| vmx| I125: [msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "C:\Users\lab\AppData\
Roaming\VMware\config.ini": The system cannot find the file specified.
2018-03-29T12:16:48.439-04:00| vmx| I125: PREF Optional preferences file not found at C:\Users\lab\AppData\Roaming\
VMware\config.ini. Using default values.
Attachment: Text vmware.log 210.67 KB Image revised2_graphics_startup.png 7.75 KB
I think we will give up on using VMWare with QNX 7.

Is there an ISO or similar install disk we can download and create to install QNX 7 on a blank drive on a dedicated PC?

From the Software Center, can only see the VMWare QNX installation (which for us is not working in graphics mode).

Thanks.
Hello. Was about to start drinking alcoholic beverages (I don't drink) and thought to email QNX. They prompted reply 
with the following info which we must have missed...courtesy of Dennis Kelly of QNX:

Hi Kumar-

>>> VMWare which is yielding a black screen only upon launch with ./etc/graphics-startup.sh

The VMware image is behaving normally.

You must note the IP address (use ifconfIg) prior to starting graphics script.  Then, use putty in Windows to connect to
 the IP address of the VMware image and login as user “qnxuser” and password “qnxuser”.   (Once you start graphics 
it clears the screen and you cannot use the PC console any longer.)  To prove graphics is working, run “gles2-gears”.

>> We will try this asap and post our results. Thanks for everyone for their assistance and hoping this will get us 
moving. From what we have seen, there is no stand alone ISO image for this version of the OS. QNX 7 is based on the 
VMWare platform which is fine, once it works for us :)
Proof that the graphics mode is now working :) After following the putty mode access stuff. Next hurdle is to compile 
the driver code. Thanks again.
Attachment: Image qnx_graphics.png 126.32 KB