Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design': (7 Items)

Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
Hi, everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can you help me with the following:

I'm trying to run the 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design' on Beagleboard rev. C3.
How to get the mouse running in this project? I connect the Beagleboard via a USB hub connected to the USB OTG port 
which powers the board. I also connect the serial port to have a console. Unfortunately the mouse and keyboard attached 
to the hub are dead.
Here is the log from the start-up procedure:

------------ start-up ------------
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Jul 28 2010 - 16:59:13)
Beagle Rev C1/C2/C3
Reading boot sector
Loading u-boot.bin from nand

U-Boot 2009.01-dirty (Feb 19 2009 - 12:22:31)

I2C:   ready
OMAP3530-GP rev 2, CPU-OPP2 L3-165MHz
OMAP3 Beagle board + LPDDR/NAND
DRAM:  256 MB
NAND:  256 MiB                                                                  
MUSB: using high speed                                                          
In:    serial                                                                   
Out:   serial                                                                   
Err:   serial                                                                   
Board revision C                                                                
Serial #0dc6000300000000040323090c00d011                                        
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0                                                
reading beagle.ifs                                                              

1985040 bytes read                                                              
## Starting application at 0x80200000 ...                                       
CPU0: L1 Icache: 256x64                                                         
CPU0: L1 Dcache: 256x64 WB                                                      
CPU0: L2 Dcache: 4096x64 WB                                                     
CPU0: VFP 410330c1                                                              
CPU0: 411fc083: Cortex A8 rev 3 500MHz                                          

System page at phys:80011000 user:fc404000 kern:fc404000                        
Starting next program at vfe047044                                              
cpu_startnext: cpu0 -> fe047044                                                 
VFPv3: fpsid=410330c1                                                           
coproc_attach(10): replacing fe074a20 with fe07426c                             
coproc_attach(11): replacing fe074a20 with fe07426c                             
Welcome to QNX Neutrino 6.4.3 on the Texas Instruments OMAP3530 (ARMv7 Cortex-Ad
starting I2C driver...                                                         
# Setting date to 200905010000.00                                               

===============================================                                 
QNX Smart Energy Panel                                                          
===============================================                                 
Starting USB services...                                                        
Was c5387f = A-bit set  U-bit set                                               
Now c5387d = A-bit not-set  U-bit set                                           
Starting HID services...                                                        
Starting ETFS...                                                                
Starting PPS services...                                                        
        io-media-generic                                                        
Starting Network services...                                 ...
View Full Message
Re: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
Hi Yassen,

It appears that the USB devices are not recognized by QNX on the Beagle (you mentioned mouse/keyboard, but also network 
as seen in the log 'ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS en0: No such device or address', assuming you have a network dongle connected
 to the hub as well) - this is a common problem with this target. 

For devices connected through the USB OTG port on the Beagle board, you must ensure the following:

- your USB hub is self-powered (the Beagle can't support a bus-powered hub on this port). 
- when you power-on the beagle:
   1. first press & hold down the 'USER'/'S1' button on the board;
   2. plug in power via the 5V DC port on the Beagle;
   3. release the 'USER'/'S1' button when you see the Beagle splash screen,
       or after about 5 seconds.

If your USB devices still aren't working, you can verify from the serial command-line if the devices are recognized 
using the following command (the output below lists the various devices that are seen on the USB bus):

# /qnx-ia/armle/sbin/usb
USB 0 (OMAP3530) v1.10, v1.01 DDK, v1.01 HCD

Device Address             : 1
Vendor                     : 0x05e3
Product                    : 0x0608 (USB2.0 Hub)
Class                      : 0x09 (Hub)
Subclass                   : 0x00
Protocol                   : 0x01
Hub Number Ports           : 4
Hub Characteristics        : 0x00e4 (Ganged power, Compound, Global over-current)
Hub Power On->Good         : 100 ms
Hub Power Requirements     : 100 mA

Device Address             : 2
Vendor                     : 0x05e3
Product                    : 0x0608 (USB2.0 Hub)
Class                      : 0x09 (Hub)
Subclass                   : 0x00
Protocol                   : 0x01
Hub Number Ports           : 4
Hub Characteristics        : 0x00e0 (Ganged power, Global over-current)
Hub Power On->Good         : 100 ms
Hub Power Requirements     : 100 mA

Device Address             : 3
Vendor                     : 0x0b95 (ASIX Elec. Corp.)
Product                    : 0x7720 (AX88x72A)
Class                      : 0xff (Vendor-specific)
Subclass                   : 0xff
Protocol                   : 0x00

Device Address             : 4
Vendor                     : 0x0596 (3M)
Product                    : 0x0001 (3M USB Touchscreen - EX II)
Class                      : 0x00 (Independent per interface)

If you don't see any devices listed using this command, then there is still a problem with your USB hub. Often, you need
 to physically remove power from the board, make sure you're holding the USER button down, apply power, and don't 
release the USER button until the boot sequence is fully initiated (ie, you see the Beagle splash screen, or your serial
 output indicates that the demo is loading). 

Re: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
Hi, Ben!

Thank you for the input. I have already tried all of this without success. The mouse is optical and lights up but 
doesn't work at all. The keyboard is dead as well. With the WiFi adapter it is the same, but if I fix the mouse, the 
same solution should fix the other usb devices I think.

My USB hub is self powered using a 2.1A / 5V DC supply. The Beagleboard is powered by the hub, through the OTG port and 
NOT through the dedicated supply input. I doubt this can be a problem because I have tested the same configuration with 
Angstrom linux and it worked properly.

I also keep pressed the USER S1 button while booting. Maybe I forgot to mention that the start-up log I've posted was 
exactly from this case. This is the whole log on the screen.

Running the 'usb' command founds no usb devices as below:

---- result ----
# /qnx-ia/armle/sbin/usb

---- end of result ----

I have also tried to run both the USB OTG Host and EHCI Host using the following command:

# io-usb -domap3530-mg ioport=0x480ab000,irq=92 -dehci-omap3 ioport=0x48064800,irq=77,verbose=5

which I have found on this page:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.bsp/wiki/TiOmap3530evm1.0.020080109ReleaseNotes?showDetails=true

No luck so far. Any other suggestions?

Yassen
RE: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
This really looks like the common problem we see with the Beagle board
(no devices showing up on USB OTG bus), and you're right, once QNX does
recognize the devices on the bus, they should all work. It's nomally
just a matter of holding down the USER button when powering-up the
board, but your configuration is unusual. 

So, I suggest, at this point, to try plugging in 5V power directly to
the Beagle (in addition to powering the hub). Powering the Beagle via
the USB OTG port is not a use case that I've personally ever seen used
here (in fact, my C3 board will not power-up at all until I plug into
the 5V DC port - maybe there is a jumper config to enable this?). That
configuration may be valid using another BSP, but I suspect it may not
be supported by our BSP (although I can't find any reference to this
explicitly, I know the USB driver is sensitive to the power
configuration, and of course to the USER button). The recommended power
adapter is: 'USB A Male to 5.5mm Power Plug Cable', which you can order
from here: https://specialcomp.com/beagleboard/order.htm. 

I will also refer you to the latest BSP release notes here:
http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.bsp/wiki/Nto641TiO
map3530Beagle1.0.0Releasenotes. Where did you find the older release
notes?

Could you also point me to where you got the Smart Energy demo download
from?

Thanks,
Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Yassen Gorbounov [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 10:16 AM
To: general-reference_designs
Subject: Re: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy
Reference Design'

Hi, Ben!

Thank you for the input. I have already tried all of this without
success. The mouse is optical and lights up but doesn't work at all. The
keyboard is dead as well. With the WiFi adapter it is the same, but if I
fix the mouse, the same solution should fix the other usb devices I
think.

My USB hub is self powered using a 2.1A / 5V DC supply. The Beagleboard
is powered by the hub, through the OTG port and NOT through the
dedicated supply input. I doubt this can be a problem because I have
tested the same configuration with Angstrom linux and it worked
properly.

I also keep pressed the USER S1 button while booting. Maybe I forgot to
mention that the start-up log I've posted was exactly from this case.
This is the whole log on the screen.

Running the 'usb' command founds no usb devices as below:

---- result ----
# /qnx-ia/armle/sbin/usb

---- end of result ----

I have also tried to run both the USB OTG Host and EHCI Host using the
following command:

# io-usb -domap3530-mg ioport=0x480ab000,irq=92 -dehci-omap3
ioport=0x48064800,irq=77,verbose=5

which I have found on this page:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.bsp/wiki/TiOmap353
0evm1.0.020080109ReleaseNotes?showDetails=true

No luck so far. Any other suggestions?

Yassen

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post66942
Re: RE: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
Yassen,

Something else to consider is the cable you're using to connect the USB hub. I'm just wondering if you're using a cable 
that supports powering the board, but does not allow the QNX driver to communicate properly with the hub. As mentioned 
in the release notes, the required cable is mini A to mini B usb cable (A-side going into the Beagle), which is 
available for order here: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=WM17494-ND.

Ben
Re: RE: Mouse/Keyboard (USB OTG) not available in 'QNX Smart Energy Reference Design'  
Hi, Ben!

Thank you very much. Your suggestion seems to solve the problem although I couldn't explain fully the case for myself...

The cable I've used is mini A to mini B which function is actually to short pins 4 and 5 on the Beagle USB OTG port 
(that's mini A) and the hub delivers power to the board through the USB. Using other cables is possible with the same 
hub if you solder pins 4 and 5 on the port itself or solder the J6 pcb pads on the Beagleboard (valid for rev. C3; J6 is
 on the opposite side of the board just beneath the USB port). There are no jumpers on the board that are related to the
 problem. The sole change I've made to the board is soldering a 22uF capacitor in parallel with the C97 capacitor to 
solve the known problem with the noise on the 1.8V rail that exists with the rev. C3 board.

Finally, to run the USB devices (mouse, keyboard, etc.) it turns out that powering the Beagleboard through the dedicated
 5V input AND pressing the User1 button is crucial. Now everything looks fine.

I've got the "Smart Energy Reference Design - TI OMAP3530 BeagleBoard with mouse" from
http://www.qnx.com/download/feature.html?programid=20707
which is accessible from the main QNX website: "www.qnx.com" -> "Downloads" -> "Reference Designs + Demos" -> "TI 
BeagleBoard (OMAP 3530) with mouse"

Best regards,
          Yassen
> Hi, Ben!
> 
> Thank you very much. Your suggestion seems to solve the problem although I 
> couldn't explain fully the case for myself...
> 
> The cable I've used is mini A to mini B which function is actually to short 
> pins 4 and 5 on the Beagle USB OTG port (that's mini A) and the hub delivers 
> power to the board through the USB. Using other cables is possible with the 
> same hub if you solder pins 4 and 5 on the port itself or solder the J6 pcb 
> pads on the Beagleboard (valid for rev. C3; J6 is on the opposite side of the 
> board just beneath the USB port). There are no jumpers on the board that are 
> related to the problem. The sole change I've made to the board is soldering a 
> 22uF capacitor in parallel with the C97 capacitor to solve the known problem 
> with the noise on the 1.8V rail that exists with the rev. C3 board.
> 
> Finally, to run the USB devices (mouse, keyboard, etc.) it turns out that 
> powering the Beagleboard through the dedicated 5V input AND pressing the User1
>  button is crucial. Now everything looks fine.
> 
> I've got the "Smart Energy Reference Design - TI OMAP3530 BeagleBoard with 
> mouse" from
> http://www.qnx.com/download/feature.html?programid=20707
> which is accessible from the main QNX website: "www.qnx.com" -> "Downloads" ->
>  "Reference Designs + Demos" -> "TI BeagleBoard (OMAP 3530) with mouse"
> 
> Best regards,
>           Yassen

So the issue is resolved for you, then>  

<a href="http://www.escalatehosting.com/special/645214">Reputable Web Hosting</a>