Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Ques/Sugges-tions: (6 Items)

Ques/Sugges-tions  
Hi Sada Murugan and others,
Have you considered to enhance QEMU to run QNX as a target? QEMU lacks a "PnP BIOS" which cause the PnP device drivers 
including network adapters unfunctional in QNX(as a target).
And what about nto-user? It should be very interesting to make a user mode emulator working under such a pure 
microkernel.

Best regards,
Zhe
Re: Ques/Sugges-tions  
> Hi Sada Murugan and others,
> Have you considered to enhance QEMU to run QNX as a target? QEMU lacks a "PnP 
> BIOS" which cause the PnP device drivers including network adapters 
> unfunctional in QNX(as a target).

The Neutrino installer CD doesn't make a suitable test target configuration for running on QEMU because of the lack of 
PnP BIOS and drive space requirements.  However, since QNX is highly configurable, it's possible to set up a system 
which runs nicely on QEMU.  The network drivers DO work, however, they won't start properly from the default CD.  I'm 
quite sure that the wiki page (on the OS project under debugging) describes how to manually start pci-bios, and restart 
io-net to get user-mode networking after the boot sequence.
Full networking that can accept incoming connections and communicate between instances of QEMU requires a TAP interface,
 which isn't implemented yet for QNX.  A networking guru here is looking into it.  

Currently, the best solution is to make proper buildfiles for QEMU, and set up raw disk images.  The dinit utility can 
be used on raw disk images to make custom test systems for QEMU - the non-PnP BIOS shouldn't be a problem once I figure 
this all out.

There has been some talk about writing enhancements for QEMU, like a port of kQEMU and a graphical front end - but this 
is longer term and not as critical right now.  There will certainly be a few active project like that in time.

> And what about nto-user? It should be very interesting to make a user mode 
> emulator working under such a pure microkernel.

I'm honestly not sure how difficult it would be to make an nto-user mode, and it's probably beyond the scope of my work 
term here (3 months left as a co-op student).  I wouldn't discount the possibility in the future.

For now, I'm trying to find a really good setup for qemu and sort out the logistics of making bootable disk images.  
Also, non-x86 targets require a kernel image separate from a disk, and I haven't had success with our kernel yet, but 
I'm hoping to within a few days.

As always, I will update the wiki once I have made some progress.

Regards

-SM
RE: Ques/Sugges-tions  
Anybody interested in writing a short tutorial on how to use QEMU to run QNX
as a target? We would post on the community home page.
> I'm honestly not sure how difficult it would be to make an nto-user mode, and 
> it's probably beyond the scope of my work term here (3 months left as a co-op 
> student).  I wouldn't discount the possibility in the future.
I see. Let's "count" a possibility here:
The basic idea of user mode emulation in QEMU is: make a CPU cycle which can/must catch every privillaged instructions. 
So...IMO there're 3 key points:
1. Map the ELF binary correctly into memory (then make a thread for it, we'll monitor the thread later)
2. Handling kernel calls/ signals (a microkernel don't have much... but ABI, ABI, ABI... lots of platforms nto's support
! and endian convert of course)
(till now, a simple main() program can run)
3. Special dealing with thread calls

Best Regards,
Zhe
Hi,
I need to run a Windows XP on a Neutrino Host System to use Windows for a visualisation of my Realtime Application. QNX 
Support
told me about Qemu. But I do not find a fitting combination there.

Does this constellation (QNX Neutrino host, running Qemu, hosting Windows XP as guest OS) exist. 

Or are there other feasible solutionsl.

Many Thanks

Gottfried Czech
RE: Ques/Sugges-tions  
QNX6 can host qemu, but as yet we don't support the (Intel or AMD)VT or kqemu acceleration techniques.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 11/17/2008 7:47 AM
To: general-qemu
Subject: Re: Ques/Sugges-tions

Hi,
I need to run a Windows XP on a Neutrino Host System to use Windows for a visualisation of my Realtime Application. QNX 
Support
told me about Qemu. But I do not find a fitting combination there.

Does this constellation (QNX Neutrino host, running Qemu, hosting Windows XP as guest OS) exist. 

Or are there other feasible solutionsl.

Many Thanks

Gottfried Czech

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 2.65 KB