Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Samba on QNX 6.4.0: (5 Items)

Samba on QNX 6.4.0  
Hello,

I have installed the samba port of 3.0.32 on QNX 6.4.0 and was trying to test it's stability by connecting to it using a
 box running Windows XP Pro and a laptop with Windows XP Media center Edition. I am noticing that it is not very stable 
and I'm wondering if anyone else using it has the same problem.

I am starting smbd and nmbd using the scripts provided in /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d, and I kept the default smb.conf.
 In the past, if I would connect to the QNX box using an XP computer that has a username and password that did not match
 the information in smbpasswd, the windows boxwill provide a prompt to enter a username and password for the connection.
 Now, samba quits on the QNX box.

Another small issue is that I have seen smbd refuse to start, and it was complaining about the messages.tdb file in /var
/run/samba/. I removed the file and it seemed to  resolve the problem.

I have also noticed that nmbd was not advertising the netbios name to the rest of the workgroup. After starting it would
 print the following two lines:
No non-loopback local interfaces.
Waiting for an interface to appear.

In my frustration I even went back to the version of samba which was provided with the 6.2-6.3 3rd party cd, but it also
 likes to crash.

I would like to know if anyone else is running samba without any problems on 6.4 and if there is any special setup for 
it to run. Samba is a really nice tool to have and it's essential that I get it running properly.

I can provide log files on request, I have not noticed anything useful in them.

Thanks,
Kevin Raymond
Re: Samba on QNX 6.4.0  
More  informations about our problem: 

I've made some test from the binary package, using pkg_add -v samba, by following the instruction here: http://community
.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pkgsrc/wiki/BinaryPackages

I'm using *almost* the stock smbd.conf from the package.. I just specify the name of the workgroup and stuf like this.. 
I'm using the [home] share.. I've create a user with smbpasswd that exist on my system.

If I start smbd myself with -i, it will work for one connection no problem.. once the client exit.. the smbd process 
quit normally. But if I start it using: /etc/rc.d/smbd start  (started in Daemon mode).. It listen for connection but 
the client cannot connect.. 

The difference.. in Daemon mode.. there's more than one smbd process running and we got the following error in the log: 

[2009/01/10 11:30:50, 0] lib/util_tdb.c:tdb_log(664)
  tdb(/var/db/samba/ntforms.tdb): tdb_reopen: open failed (Resource busy)

It's seems that there's a problem of file locking with those tdb files.. when more than one smbd process open try to 
open them...

I've attached a more complete log... (with -d6 switch)
I know.. it's very verbose.. but the interesting stuff is at the end... 

Hope this will give a better idea of what is our problem..

-- 
Martin Gagnon
Attachment: Text log.smbd 83.6 KB
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:49:59AM -0500, KEvin Raymond wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I have installed the samba port of 3.0.32 on QNX 6.4.0 and was trying to test it's stability by connecting to it using
 a box running Windows XP Pro and a laptop with Windows XP Media center Edition. I am noticing that it is not very 
stable and I'm wondering if anyone else using it has the same problem.
> 
> I am starting smbd and nmbd using the scripts provided in /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d, and I kept the default smb.
conf. In the past, if I would connect to the QNX box using an XP computer that has a username and password that did not 
match the information in smbpasswd, the windows boxwill provide a prompt to enter a username and password for the 
connection. Now, samba quits on the QNX box.
> 
> Another small issue is that I have seen smbd refuse to start, and it was complaining about the messages.tdb file in /
var/run/samba/. I removed the file and it seemed to  resolve the problem.
> 
> I have also noticed that nmbd was not advertising the netbios name to the rest of the workgroup. After starting it 
would print the following two lines:
> No non-loopback local interfaces.
> Waiting for an interface to appear.
> 
> In my frustration I even went back to the version of samba which was provided with the 6.2-6.3 3rd party cd, but it 
also likes to crash.
> 
> I would like to know if anyone else is running samba without any problems on 6.4 and if there is any special setup for
 it to run. Samba is a really nice tool to have and it's essential that I get it running properly.
> 
> I can provide log files on request, I have not noticed anything useful in them.

Oooh my first bug report :)

I'll try to take a look at it in the near future.  It's been
a while since I've actually used samba so I may have a few
questions.

-seanb
Hello Shawn,

Thanks for the help. I was curious if you could give me a rough time frame of when you're going to be able to look at 
this. I need this running in the near future (1-2 months) for a project we are working on, and I'm curious if it has a 
chance of being fixed by then.

Martin has thought up ways of using Samba in it's current reduced state for our specific application, but we will not 
peruse them if you manage to get it working  properly before then.

Thanks,
Kevin 
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:05:30PM -0500, KEvin Raymond wrote:
> Hello Shawn,
> 
> Thanks for the help. I was curious if you could give me a rough time frame of when you're going to be able to look at 
this. I need this running in the near future (1-2 months) for a project we are working on, and I'm curious if it has a 
chance of being fixed by then.
> 
> Martin has thought up ways of using Samba in it's current reduced state for our specific application, but we will not 
peruse them if you manage to get it working  properly before then.
> 

It might be a while as there's some 6.4.1 stuff on my plate currently.

-seanb