Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Multiple LAN cannot work concurrently: (6 Items)

Multiple LAN cannot work concurrently  
Hi

I have a device with two LAN ports, LAN1 is Intel 82579LM and LAN2 is Intel 82574. After update the driver(devnp-e1000.
so and enum file), both LAN can be found through ifconfig which are wm0 and wm1. 

However, the LAN ports cannot work concurrently, if both LAN are connected to Ethernet cable with dhcp setting, both LAN
 can get IP but only LAN1 can be ping by remote device, LAN2 cannot be ping. Meanwhile, the system log would keep 
showing "d6:fe:7e:f5:d8:db on wm1 tried to write ARP info 176.14.15.254 on wm0". 

If I change it to static IP with different subnet, both ports can be ping but the "<some MAC> on wm1 tried to write ARP 
info <some IP> on wm0" still shows up.

What should I do to solve this problem?

Thanks for help.

Attachment: Image sloginfo.PNG 27.41 KB
Re: Multiple LAN cannot work concurrently  
That's not going to work. Each network adaptor needs to be attached to a different network. You are receiving the ARP 
error messages because io-pkt is receiving an ARP response on one interface for a network that it thinks is attached to 
a different interface.

What are you trying to achieve by plugging two network adaptors in to the same interface? If you are looking for 
redundancy then the correct way to configure this is to create a bridge running STP with both interfaces as members in 
the bridge, and then connect to a managed switch that also runs STP. The STP will cause traffic to pass over one link 
and be blocked on the other. If the link passing traffic fails then STP will automatically switch to the other link.

If you are instead looking for increased throughput then the correct way would be to use LACP to a managed switch that 
supports LACP. Unfortunately io-pkt doesn't support LACP at this time although it is a question we occasionally get 
asked about. Please contact your support representative if you are interested in LACP support.
Oh man, how stupid was i, i had exactly the same issue and it is actually so easy to make it work, thank you man, sorry 
for being 5 years late :D
I get a pretty similar issue, i do not know why actually, but pretty usual i have to manualy aply the static ip, and 
even then it might not work.
Man you just have to configure the routers again as i know. Nothing extremly hard or anything like that. I see you guys 
trying to show off all of your brains and knowledge aquired at the programming courses. Or maybe i am just too stupid in
 this domain as i left programming in like 2 or 3 years. :D . I do remember when i was going for a cisco programming 
course, at the exam we had some questions that i couldn't find anything in my head. Before the exam i entered the 
spotoclub.com site to find all the possible answers, so it is nothing surprising that i couldn't obtain anything with 
programming.
> Man you just have to configure the routers again as i know. Nothing extremly 
> hard or anything like that. I see you guys trying to show off all of your 
> brains and knowledge aquired at the programming courses. Or maybe i am just 
> too stupid in this domain as i left programming in like 2 or 3 years. :D . I 
> do remember when i was going for a cisco programming course, at the exam we 
> had some questions that i couldn't find anything in my head. Before the exam i
>  entered the [url=https://www.spotoclub.com/]spotoclub.com[/url] site to find all the possible answers, so it is 
> nothing surprising that i couldn't obtain anything with programming.

Ohh, and i thought i was the only one to do so!