Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Porting NetBSD Network Driver: (6 Items)

Porting NetBSD Network Driver  
In the documentation, under "Differences between ported NetBSD drivers and native drivers", it says that there are two 
different "delay" functions: delay() and DELAY(), where DELAY() is reentrant. However, Neutrino's version of delay() is 
very different (millisecond instead of microsecond). That's why QNX had defined a DELAY() to support microsecond. 
Furthermore, ported drivers should define delay() to DELAY(). 

My question is two folds: 
1. Where can I actually find DELAY()? I see delay() in unistd.h but I can't seem to find DELAY() anywhere. Momentics 
does not seem to recognize it. 
2. Is Neutrino's implementation of DELAY() or delay() reentrant, i.e. safe to be used in an interrupt or process context
?
Re: Porting NetBSD Network Driver  
The definition for DELAY() can be found in usr/include/io-pkt/machine/param.h and it cannot be used in an interrupt 
service routine.
nanospin_ns() can be used in an interrupt service routine, but it isn't recommended. See the docs.

On 2018-02-07, 12:49 PM, "Danny Yen(deleted)" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

In the documentation, under "Differences between ported NetBSD drivers and native drivers", it says that there are 
two different "delay" functions: delay() and DELAY(), where DELAY() is reentrant. However, Neutrino's version of delay()
 is very different (millisecond instead of microsecond). That's why QNX had defined a DELAY() to support microsecond. 
Furthermore, ported drivers should define delay() to DELAY(). 

My question is two folds: 
    1. Where can I actually find DELAY()? I see delay() in unistd.h but I can't seem to find DELAY() anywhere. Momentics
 does not seem to recognize it. 
    2. Is Neutrino's implementation of DELAY() or delay() reentrant, i.e. safe to be used in an interrupt or process 
context?

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118521
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

DELAY is defined in usr/include/io-pkt/machine/param.h

#define DELAY(_x) (((_x) >= 1000) ? (delay)(((_x) / 1000) + 1) : nanospin_ns((_x) * 1000L))

There are several things to consider with delays of any sort in a driver:
1) QNX kernel timer tick resolution. By default the timer tick is 1ms so any form of delay/sleep call will have that 
resolution. nanospin_ns() can be used for shorter delays but suffers from calibration issues.

2) io-pkt is in general behaviour single threaded - there is a single "network stack context" that performs most 
operations. Performing a delay in one driver in the stack context will usually block traffic on other interfaces.

3) To overcome point 2 we have introduced nic_delay() in usr/include/netdrvr/nicsupport.h However note that in yielding 
stack context to permit traffic to flow on other interfaces, it also permits other operations to happen on your driver -
 including such things as removal e.g. on a USB interface. Care needs to be taken with locking.

4) Adding to the complexity, the stack context can migrate between posix threads so the locks need to be nic_mutex and 
not pthread_mutex - see usr/include/netdrvr/nic_mutex.h

5) io-pkt internal timers as used by nic_delay() tick at between 8ms and 50ms depending on traffic. If you have many 
calls to nic_delay() for a short delays then you can find this taking significant clock time. Moving the entire block of
 code across to a blockop solves this issue and makes the nic_delay() behave like a normal delay.

Think very carefully about delays in drivers, they have historically been the cause of many issues!
Thank you for the replies. 

Is /usr/include/netdrvr/ something that was introduced in a later version of QNX? I'm looking at our version, which is 
stuck at 6.4.1, and I cannot find /usr/include/netdrvr.
Yes, 6.6.0 and later. In 6.5.0 SP1 then it is under /usr/include/drvr

6.4.1 is so old that much of what I described is not present.
Thanks for the reply and clarification.

I think this significantly complicates my situation. I will need to rethink how I should approach my problem.