Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Frustration with updates: Page 1 of 2 (44 Items)

Frustration with updates  
I had written a post about how I was getting frustrated with problems I have whenever I add a new plugin or update my 
existing system.

In short I had tried to add the JDT from the QNX update site today and it complained about missing dependency.  I found 
by selecting all the QNX SDK updates which were there made the error go away. 

I updated and it restarted eclipse which then errored out told me to look in the attached log.  That wasn't not overly 
useful.

At this point I would love to just go back to the working install I had before I tried to add the JDT.  I have spent the
 last couple weeks adding plugins and stuff and was finally happy with my setup.

Of course when I tried to post this earlier, I got the following error:
A Foundry27 system error has occurred. An unexpected system error has occurred
If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the Foundry27 administrator and reference this 
tracking number: exid30A801DC0120A0BD94D38AFB

Its a good thing I don't need any of this to get my job done.

Slightly frustrated,
Rick..
Re: Frustration with updates  
The foundry 27 error was caused by trying to attach the file.  Something else I forgot to mention when I retyped the 
post was I am running what I think is the latest 4.6 build targetting a QNX 632 install.

File contents here (instead of attaching)

!SESSION 2009-04-13 11:14:27.605 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20090304
java.version=1.5.0_11
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.401
!MESSAGE 
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.
eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:305)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:355)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1074)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:616)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:508)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:299)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:489)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:211)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:321)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.417
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.4.0.v20080512.jar/ was not resolved.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.448
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle 
is resolved and started (see config.ini).
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:74)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.464
!MESSAGE One or more bundles are not resolved because the following root constraints are not resolved:
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.464
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.4.0.v20080512.jar/ was not resolved.
!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.464
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.equinox.app_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.core.contenttype_[3.3.0,4.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.equinox.registry_[3.4.0,4.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.equinox.preferences_[3.2.0,4.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.core.jobs_[3.2.0,4.0.0).

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2009-04-13 11:14:29.480
!MESSAGE The following is a complete list of bundles which are not resolved, see the prior log entry for...
View Full Message
You are using regular update that is provided with IDE or you are trying to use p2 updater?

Rick Duff wrote:
> I had written a post about how I was getting frustrated with problems I have whenever I add a new plugin or update my 
existing system.
> 
> In short I had tried to add the JDT from the QNX update site today and it complained about missing dependency.  I 
found by selecting all the QNX SDK updates which were there made the error go away. 
> 
> I updated and it restarted eclipse which then errored out told me to look in the attached log.  That wasn't not overly
 useful.
> 
> At this point I would love to just go back to the working install I had before I tried to add the JDT.  I have spent 
the last couple weeks adding plugins and stuff and was finally happy with my setup.
> 
> Of course when I tried to post this earlier, I got the following error:
> A Foundry27 system error has occurred. An unexpected system error has occurred
> If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the Foundry27 administrator and reference this 
> 
> Its a good thing I don't need any of this to get my job done.
> 
> Slightly frustrated,
> Rick..
> 
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26822
> 
And which update site you are using? IDE 4.6 won't update from official update site (because it is for IDE 4.5). You 
need to add experimental update site,
which I don't think has JDT there. If you want JDT you can try eclipse update sites for Eclipse 3.4.x stream.

Rick Duff wrote:
> I had written a post about how I was getting frustrated with problems I have whenever I add a new plugin or update my 
existing system.
> 
> In short I had tried to add the JDT from the QNX update site today and it complained about missing dependency.  I 
found by selecting all the QNX SDK updates which were there made the error go away. 
> 
> I updated and it restarted eclipse which then errored out told me to look in the attached log.  That wasn't not overly
 useful.
> 
> At this point I would love to just go back to the working install I had before I tried to add the JDT.  I have spent 
the last couple weeks adding plugins and stuff and was finally happy with my setup.
> 
> Of course when I tried to post this earlier, I got the following error:
> A Foundry27 system error has occurred. An unexpected system error has occurred
> If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the Foundry27 administrator and reference this 
> 
> Its a good thing I don't need any of this to get my job done.
> 
> Slightly frustrated,
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26822
> 
I am using the regular updater pointing at the experimental site (I think).  Since I can't start Momentics right now I 
can't confirm any of this.

As I said at this point I just want to get a working setup again without having to redo everything.  Is that possible, 
or should I just start again?

Thanks,
Rick..
RE: Frustration with updates  
You can try the following three steps "clean-up" to see if you can get Eclipse to start:

1) Remove (or rename) your configuration folder. If you are on Windows it's in "C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\
momentics". If you are on Linux it's in your $HOME/.momentics

2) Remove (or rename) your workspace folder. Make sure your select a new workspace

3) Run "qde -clean"

Also please make sure you don't have any "p2" plugin in your "plugins" folder.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 13/04/2009 5:56 PM
To: general-ide
Subject: Re: Frustration with updates

I am using the regular updater pointing at the experimental site (I think).  Since I can't start Momentics right now I 

As I said at this point I just want to get a working setup again without having to redo everything.  Is that possible, 

Thanks,
Rick..

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 2.83 KB
Did you try to remove momentics configuration area? In <user home>/momentics/4.6

Rick Duff wrote:
> I am using the regular updater pointing at the experimental site (I think).  Since I can't start Momentics right now I
> 
> As I said at this point I just want to get a working setup again without having to redo everything.  Is that possible,
> 
> Thanks,
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26832
> 
> Did you try to remove momentics configuration area? In <user home>/momentics/4.6
> 

Yes, and this works, although it means I have to add everything back in and start over.  I just renamed it so I could go
 back and try other things if ayone had any suggestions.

I have not tried the qde -clean idea yet (I wil try it when I get to work).

Rick..
You don't need to add it back. It is auto-generated directory. I am not sure what is the problem now?

Rick Duff wrote:
>> Did you try to remove momentics configuration area? In <user home>/momentics/4.6
>>
> 
> Yes, and this works, although it means I have to add everything back in and start over.  I just renamed it so I could 
go back and try other things if ayone had any suggestions.
> 
> I have not tried the qde -clean idea yet (I wil try it when I get to work).
> 
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26885
> 
Is there a way to get all my plugins back without redownloading them and reconfiguring them?  That is the frustrating 
part. ;-)

Rick..
Hi, Rick,

Eclipse should just find your plug-ins again as long as you don't remove
them from the plugins/ folder.

If you are using Extension Locations to partition 2nd- or 3rd-party
plug-ins, then you may have to use the Manage Configuration dialog to
add them again, but then their contents will be discovered
automatically. If you use the links/ folder to reference extensions,
then it will be discovered in the new configuration without any
additional effort.

See this article for more information about extension locations:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecl-manage/

HTH,

Christian

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 09:34 -0400, Rick Duff wrote:

> Is there a way to get all my plugins back without redownloading them and reconfiguring them?  That is the frustrating 
part. ;-)
> 
> Rick..
> 
I think plugins are there but because tried to update base platform they are not compatible anymore and not loading, you
 can check log file
to see what is going on.

Rick Duff wrote:
> Is there a way to get all my plugins back without redownloading them and reconfiguring them?  That is the frustrating 
part. ;-)
> 
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26892
> 
> I think plugins are there but because tried to update base platform they are 
> not compatible anymore and not loading, you can check log file
> to see what is going on.

This appears to be what happened - which log file do I have to look at and how do you interpret the info (since most of 
the log files I have seen appear like greek to me)?

Thanks,
Rick..

Log file is in workspace/.log. Attach it here we will translate.

Rick Duff wrote:
>> I think plugins are there but because tried to update base platform they are 
>> not compatible anymore and not loading, you can check log file
>> to see what is going on.
> 
> This appears to be what happened - which log file do I have to look at and how do you interpret the info (since most 
of the log files I have seen appear like greek to me)?
> 
> Thanks,
> Rick..
> 
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26919
> 
If this helps, this is what it looks like after I delete the configuration directory and restart.
Attachment: Image configuration.PNG 48.62 KB
It does not help because we don't see WHY they did not load. Need log.

Rick Duff wrote:
> If this helps, this is what it looks like after I delete the configuration directory and restart.
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26921
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
When I try to attach the log file to a reply the stupid forum software crashes with some kind of error (see my original 
post in this thread for a similiar error).  Is there some kind of magic needed to attach log files (I attached the png 
without problems).

Disabling the first occurrence of "QNX Momentics IDE" seems to have fixed most the problems.  At this point it is pretty
 close to where I was when I tried to install the JDT yesterday.

Not sure if this is related tho, the "Manage Configurations" dialog now have nothing under the "QNX Momentics IDE" on 
the left pane (no tree  of installed features".  Also the built-in help doesn't work.  This may have been an existing 
problem since I haven't looked at either in a while.

Rick..
Tried zipping the log file (in case it was too big)
Attachment: Compressed file log.zip 53.68 KB
Weird. There are some errors but nothing about cannot load bundle which I would expect.

If you disabled QNX Momentics IDE Feature you won't see any qnx tools and extensions. Is it log before you disable it or
 after?
Can you start in fresh workspace to diagnose?

Rick Duff wrote:
> Tried zipping the log file (in case it was too big)
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26933
Hi, Rick,

Try launching the IDE with the -debug command-line option.  That should
provide more diagnostic information about why plug-ins didn't resolve.
Then, we can have another look at the log file.

Cheers,

Christian

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 12:09 -0400, Elena Laskavaia wrote:

> Weird. There are some errors but nothing about cannot load bundle which I would expect.
> 
> If you disabled QNX Momentics IDE Feature you won't see any qnx tools and extensions. Is it log before you disable it 
or after?
> Can you start in fresh workspace to diagnose?
> 
> Rick Duff wrote:
> > Tried zipping the log file (in case it was too big)
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > General
> > http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26933
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26939
> 

Ok, I deleted the configuration directory and used a new workspace.  I started qde with the -debug option, it came up 
with no plugins enabled.  I disabled the first (of two) QNX Momentics IDE features I had listed (which is obviously part
 of the problem), it restarted with most the plugins working.

I am attaching the .log file from this session.

Rick..
Attachment: Compressed file log.zip 3.39 KB
We need a log when you don't disable QNX plugins start with fresh configuration and empty workspace and -debug.

Rick Duff wrote:
> Ok, I deleted the configuration directory and used a new workspace.  I started qde with the -debug option, it came up 
with no plugins enabled.  I disabled the first (of two) QNX Momentics IDE features I had listed (which is obviously part
 of the problem), it restarted with most the plugins working.
> 
> I am attaching the .log file from this session.
> 
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26958
Doesn't the log file just get appended to?  You should have that info in the log file I just posted.  Anyway, I did it 
again, deleting configuration and using a new workspace (with debug turned on).

Rick..
Attachment: Compressed file log.zip 1.87 KB
There is no debug output there... Can you click on Feature in the screen from shot you send us and see plugin status 
there?
Manage Configuration... Select a feature, on a page select Show Properties, select Status on the right.

Rick Duff wrote:
> Doesn't the log file just get appended to?  You should have that info in the log file I just posted.  Anyway, I did it
> 
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26972
I just looked at screenshot again. I think it is very wrong. It shows C:\QNX632\target\qnx6\usr\help\eclipse
as only one location and all plugins installed there, which is pretty bad, because they have to be from location where 
your IDE 4.6 installation is.

Can you please confirm all you plugins in this directory? Are you switching between 640 and 632?

Rick Duff wrote:
> Doesn't the log file just get appended to?  You should have that info in the log file I just posted.  Anyway, I did it
> 
> Rick..
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post26972