Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - IDE 4.5 issues: (3 Items)

IDE 4.5 issues  
I just started using IDE 4.5 for a couple days.  I am running Version: 4.5.0
Build id: I20080717.  I am new to the forums and do not know how to search the forum so please forgive me if this 
question has been answered.  I set up tabs to be 3 spaces and to use spaces in place of tabs in my preferences.  This 
appears to have no effect though.  Tabs are still showing up as tabs and at 4 spaces, not 3.

I have also seen an issue with the Outline window.  Sometimes, a file that I have opened shows a red square in front of 
the function name instead of a green circle.  When this happens, I could not double-click the function name to bring me 
to the function.  I do not know what caused it to happen.  It appears to work again some time later.

Has anyone seen these issues before?
Re: IDE 4.5 issues  
Hi, Rex,

The answers to your two questions are:

1) I guess your files are either Java or C/C++ files, right? The preference setting "General -> Editors -> Text Editors 
-> Displayed tab width" sets the tab spacing for general file types like .txt and .html; The tab spacing for the Java or
 C/C++ files are controlled by their "Code Style" settings. In the other words, the Java and C/C++ settings override the
 general settings. For example to set the tab spacing for C/C++ files, go to the preference "C/C++ -> Code Style", 
select a profile (K&R [built-in] by default), edit the profile, change the "Tab size" setting. You have to rename the profile because you can not save a built-in profile. For Java files, the same setting is at "Java -> Code Style -> Formatter".

2) For Java or C++ class files, the method decoration "red square" signals a private member. This is the built-in 
annotation and you can't change it. The problem you see that you can't go to it seems to be because of the delay 
processing of the outline view. If you open a big class file which has many class members, the outline view needs 
sometime to fully process the file structure. I saw it once today while trying to open a big header file. I had to close
 the file and re-open it and everything worked fine. Maybe it's a bug in the Eclipse platform or CDT. 

Hope my answers help. Please let us know if you have further question.

Thanks,
Andy
Re: IDE 4.5 issues  
Andy,

Thanks for the explanation.  It was a C++ file.  I updated the code style profile and now tab works for me.  Thank you 
for pointing that out to me.

Rex