Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Neon: (3 Items)

Neon  
Hi,

I'm trying out the Neon M1 package available in the FileReleases section. So far so good. Very nice to see something 
ahead of the curve for once.

That brings me to ask about an issue I have been unable to find an answer to.  Either I'm getting really bad at using 
Google or my problem does not make sense.  Here goes.

I handle our Eclipse/Momentics setup, as no one else seems to want to touch this with a 10 feet pole.  This represents a
 very very tedious and time-consuming task.  So much so that some I wonder if it does not cancel out many of the 
features/tools Eclipse provide over a Vim/make setup, talking about the CDT here.  The major problem is updating 
configuration with new and improve setting,  CDT syntax Color setting, code style setting, templates, key Code analysis,
 Quick diff. and the list goes on.... Only very few have import export setting, but it's still is a lot of work and 
can't be "automated". Get even worse when someone works with a bunch of workspaces.  

I have been trying to "distribute" preconfigure workspace, with all the extra plug-in we use, but that feels very eerie.
 Aside from the .metadata folder there is the content of the .eclipse directory that comes into play.   Some of these 
files contain username or hardcoded path.  I'm hacking away at these files by replacing strings, gotta love sed, then 
crossing my fingers that things won't fall apart.

Now I can't be the only one with this problem.  There is got to be a better way of handling this. I mean there has to be
 managers/customers  somewhere, with some influence over QNX/Eclipse, that noticed how unproductive the whole ordeal is 
?  No ? Or did I miss something really obvious that makes this a non-issue?

Having to go through all of setting yet one more time while setting up IDE6, is not the real trigger that brought me 
post, but the afternoon I lost updating an older setup (VM). I won't bore you with the details
Re: Neon  
Forgot to give a thumbs up for the 64 bit flavor. This has big a big problem under Linux, will allow us to move forward 
( major issue for svn and third party plugin ).
Re: Neon  
Hi Mario,

Glad to see that you are trying out and enjoying the M1 build. Please let us know of any additional feedback you might 
have.

There is in fact a new effort at Eclipse to improve the initial setup of Eclipse products for users. This includes extra
 plug-ins, workspace preferences, scm repos, working sets etc. The project is called oomph, or sometimes referred to as 
the Eclipse installer. You can find more details here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer

It's on our roadmap to put together a guide/instructions on how to leverage this technology in combination with 
Momentics. I will be sure to update this thread when we have that available.

David