Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Should terminal output go to the target terminal window when running a program? : (3 Items)

Should terminal output go to the target terminal window when running a program?  
I went through the QNX tutorial that sets up a project--it's essentially a "Hello World" project. I'm running on a 
Windows 7 machine, using VMware Player to create a virtual machine that I designate as the target. When I run the 
project from the QNX IDE, with the target option "Use terminal emulation on target" selected, I see the text show up in 
the Console window. However, it's unclear to me what should happen if I uncheck the "Use terminal emulation on target" 
option. Unchecked, I no longer see any text in the Console window, which I expected, but should the text show up on my 
virtual machine terminal window?

Other relevant info: I have started qconn, and the target seems to be connected properly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!  
Re: Should terminal output go to the target terminal window when running a program?  
no. The output goes nowhere.

If you want it to go to your terminal you must start your app from that terminal and then attach to it.

You can use "on" utility to start process in held state so you can attach:

$ on -h yourapp

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:47 PM
To: general-ide
Reply To: general-ide@community.qnx.com
Subject: Should terminal output go to the target terminal window when running a program?

I went through the QNX tutorial that sets up a project--it's essentially a "Hello World" project. I'm running on a 
Windows 7 machine, using VMware Player to create a virtual machine that I designate as the target. When I run the 
project from the QNX IDE, with the target option "Use terminal emulation on target" selected, I see the text show up in 
the Console window. However, it's unclear to me what should happen if I uncheck the "Use terminal emulation on target" 
option. Unchecked, I no longer see any text in the Console window, which I expected, but should the text show up on my 
virtual machine terminal window?

Other relevant info: I have started qconn, and the target seems to be connected properly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post99125
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-ide-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime9691 4.88 KB
Re: Should terminal output go to the target terminal window when running a program?  
Great, thanks for the info!