Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Remote compilation and debugging with QDE: (8 Items)

Remote compilation and debugging with QDE  
Hello,

we have a system with a Windows host and a QNX target. Currently, we understand that QDE supports cross compilation on 
the Windows host, in which the binaries are then transferred to the QNX target for execution and remote debug (with help
 of qconn). We understand that in our setup, compilation for the QNX target happens on Windows, ie. cross compilation.

Is it possible to setup QDE to perform a remote compilation instead? Here, we would trigger some makefiles on the QNX 
target file system for compilation. Simplistically, this could be done with a simple ssh command. However, then we would
 lose the QDE integration into code development, compilation error tracking and remote debugging ... in short all QDE 
benefits.

We much prefer remote compilation as we are trying to avoid the effort of maintaining a makefile structure + libraries +
 generation executables (IDL compiler).

Hence, is there anyway QDE's mechanism can be changed from cross compilation to remote compilation?

Thanks a lot for your help already in advance
Re: Remote compilation and debugging with QDE  
Nothing really out of the box. You can mount the sources from target to PC and use same sources and generated artifacts,
 but you would have to setup "source mapping"
so debugger and other tools find your code. If you use ssh you not necessary going to loose error parsers, if your ssh 
runs from the IDE build and output error
on the console IDE would still parse it. 
It may be a CDT extensions that does remote builds, but you would have to look it up yourself, and I am not sure it will
 work with qnx.

Internally we use recursive makefiles which runs almost the same on windows, linux and qnx, so porting is not a big 
issue (but we use qcc/gcc)

On 10/27/2011 10:23 AM, Yi Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> we have a system with a Windows host and a QNX target. Currently, we understand that QDE supports cross compilation on
 the Windows host, in which the binaries are then transferred to the QNX target for execution and remote debug (with 
help of qconn). We understand that in our setup, compilation for the QNX target happens on Windows, ie. cross 
compilation.
> 
> Is it possible to setup QDE to perform a remote compilation instead? Here, we would trigger some makefiles on the QNX 
target file system for compilation. Simplistically, this could be done with a simple ssh command. However, then we would
 lose the QDE integration into code development, compilation error tracking and remote debugging ... in short all QDE 
benefits.
> 
> We much prefer remote compilation as we are trying to avoid the effort of maintaining a makefile structure + libraries
 + generation executables (IDL compiler).
> 
> Hence, is there anyway QDE's mechanism can be changed from cross compilation to remote compilation?
> 
> Thanks a lot for your help already in advance
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post89681
> 
Thanks a lot for your  response

I tried to follows the steps that you have mentioned, but have few doubts regarding them,
It woule be great if you can clarify those

A) Source Mount : 
In here you mean, that I manually copy the files from the target system viewew to workspace ?
Is there a way that i can autmote this , so that I dont need to copy the files on the HOST (WIN)before and again after 
compilation on the Target (QNX)

B) Launch configuration: 
The launch configuration detects only those files which it compiles, in our case as the files are compiled on the Target
 (QNX) it gives error "Error exists in source , Do you still want to launch ?"

Can you guide some more steps, so that I can achieve my objectives of compiling on the target(QNX) and debugging from 
the host (WIN)

Hi,

On your target system, you can create a CIFS share to publish your source projects on the network.  Then, on your 
Windows host, map a drive letter to that share and import the projects from it into your workspace using the "Existing 
Projects into Workspace" import wizard.  Make sure that the "Copy projects into workspace" option in the import wizard 
is not selected, because you need to work with the files in-place in the shared directories.

With this set-up, I don't anticipate that there should be any unusual behaviour in launching and debugging processes.  I
 didn't understand your comment under item (B); launch configurations don't detect files and don't know anything about 
compilation.

HTH,

Christian

On 2011-10-29, at 4:01 AM, Yi Zhang wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your  response
> 
> I tried to follows the steps that you have mentioned, but have few doubts regarding them,
> It woule be great if you can clarify those
> 
> A) Source Mount : 
> In here you mean, that I manually copy the files from the target system viewew to workspace ?
> Is there a way that i can autmote this , so that I dont need to copy the files on the HOST (WIN)before and again after
 compilation on the Target (QNX)
> 
> B) Launch configuration: 
> The launch configuration detects only those files which it compiles, in our case as the files are compiled on the 
Target (QNX) it gives error "Error exists in source , Do you still want to launch ?"
> 
> Can you guide some more steps, so that I can achieve my objectives of compiling on the target(QNX) and debugging from 
the host (WIN)
How to create a CIFS share to publish your source projects on the network ? 

I saw the fs-cifs 
http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3.2/neutrino/utilities/f/fs-cifs.html
But that is only a client, and not the server.

Can you tell me how to start the server on QNX ?

Thanks 
Akash 
We tried copying the file manually , when we tried to launch we got the error that host library does not match the 
target file.

Is there any good doucmentation or post that can help us solve the problem.

Thanks 
Akash

The issue can be resolved  by using the  rsync, which synchronizes the host and the target file system. 

A customized makefile, which copy the src from target to host , compiles on target and synchronizes the compiled source 
back . 
Will be able to do the entire steps.

QDE does not support RSE, which is plugin for eclipse, Hence we are not able to use the features automatically.

Are there any plans of supporting RSE on QDE?
What do you mean it does not support RSE? What version of eclipse this require?

On 11/04/2011 11:08 AM, Yi Zhang wrote:
> The issue can be resolved  by using the  rsync, which synchronizes the host and the target file system. 
> 
> A customized makefile, which copy the src from target to host , compiles on target and synchronizes the compiled 
source back . 
> Will be able to do the entire steps.
> 
> QDE does not support RSE, which is plugin for eclipse, Hence we are not able to use the features automatically.
> 
> Are there any plans of supporting RSE on QDE?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post89879
>