Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - CPU or core counting..: (4 Items)

CPU or core counting..  
Greetings.. 

I'm as fresh as a lemon to QNX and have started some testing with the .iso image as well as various VMs.

Having burned the QNX 6.4 .iso and testing it with F2, CD only boot, it seems to only utilise 1 CPU out of a say 8 core,
 2 physical CPUs box. I have tried a number of boxes with same result. Is there anything I need to modify before burning
 a CD-ROM for this scenario?

Also pushing this to a VM I can only get it to use 2 cpus max (logical processors in their parlance) with an error 
message of "CPU 2 failed" or similar for 2 physacal sockets * 2 core machine etc. Is this right, are cores or CPUs 
counted? 

Once booted in a VM I never see more than physical number of CPUs in Photon. And for .iso CD-ROM I never see more than 1

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark
Re: CPU or core counting..  
Mark Triable wrote:
> Greetings.. 
> 
> I'm as fresh as a lemon to QNX and have started some testing with the .iso image as well as various VMs.
> 
> Having burned the QNX 6.4 .iso and testing it with F2, CD only boot, it seems to only utilise 1 CPU out of a say 8 
core, 2 physical CPUs box. I have tried a number of boxes with same result. Is there anything I need to modify before 
burning a CD-ROM for this scenario?

I'm pretty sure the CD runs a uniprocessor kernel (procnto-instr) as opposed to the smp kernel (procnto-smp-instr)

> Also pushing this to a VM I can only get it to use 2 cpus max (logical processors in their parlance) with an error 
message of "CPU 2 failed" or similar for 2 physacal sockets * 2 core machine etc. Is this right, are cores or CPUs 
counted? 

What VM are you using?

Colin

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the pointer. Is it possible to change it and reburn to run an SMP kernel? I am not sure whether it would be 
safe to hit a Vista/2008 loader with something else in order to see whether a hard disk install would change things.

Live SMP CD would be useful to test for hardware issues. Then again ,only a single one though, one of the boxes is 
refusing to boot from CD-ROM and no sign of .altboot but I guess I can easily swap drives.

For VM scenarios, I am using Hyper-V on Server 2008 and although not officially supported QNX states CPU 2 failure after
 I raise it from 2 to 4 on VM settings. Hence me wondering what the number identifies, a core or physical id? This 
happens on both a dual physical * 2 core, and also on dual physical * 2 core * 2 hyperthreaded (8 hardware threads or 
cpus as they would appear in NT Task Manager).

Cheers,
Mark
I believe the CD install image is /boot/build/finstall.build, so you could make your own CD that would run the
SMP kernel.

I've never played with Hyper-V, so I've know clue what the VM is claiming.  QNX doesn't distinguish cores from 
processors
from hyperthreads, it just thinks there are n processors, and it will use the standard ACPI tables for determining
the processors available (if that fails it will fall back to imps).

Colin

Mark Triable wrote:
> Hi Colin,
> 
> Thanks for the pointer. Is it possible to change it and reburn to run an SMP kernel? I am not sure whether it would be
 safe to hit a Vista/2008 loader with something else in order to see whether a hard disk install would change things.
> 
> Live SMP CD would be useful to test for hardware issues. Then again ,only a single one though, one of the boxes is 
refusing to boot from CD-ROM and no sign of .altboot but I guess I can easily swap drives.
> 
> For VM scenarios, I am using Hyper-V on Server 2008 and although not officially supported QNX states CPU 2 failure 
after I raise it from 2 to 4 on VM settings. Hence me wondering what the number identifies, a core or physical id? This 
happens on both a dual physical * 2 core, and also on dual physical * 2 core * 2 hyperthreaded (8 hardware threads or 
cpus as they would appear in NT Task Manager).
> 
> Cheers,
> Mark
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post29698
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com