Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Unable to catch hardware interrupts: (7 Items)

Unable to catch hardware interrupts  
Hello.

I'm using QNX 7.1 and the platform is Intel x86_64. Two different machines - one a recent IEI TANK-610 and the other 
some obscure motherboard that I inherited a couple of years ago.

I am running in all cases as root.

When I discovered I had a problem with the TANK I decided to build up the 2nd machine and still have the problem. So I 
don't think it's to do with the TANK (a Celeron N3160 processor).

I am back to basics using some sample code I found documented with the InterruptAttachEvent() function that uses IRQ3 
(2nd UART at 0x2f8).

I killed devc-ser8250 so that I could have unfettered access to that interrupt. Didn't help. So I went to 3f8/4. No 
better. So then IRQ0 which is the timer interrupt. No good!

The same code builds and runs perfectly on my QNX 6.5 development machine.

On the 7.1 system I added a call to procmgr_ability() - but I don't think I really needed to as I'm running as root 
anyway. Whatever, it didn't help. procmgr_ability() returns EOK so I guess it's happy.

ThreadCtl(_NTO_TCTL_IO, 0) returns 0 so I guess it's happy also.

The call to InterruptAttachEvent() returns 6 so I guess it's happy.

For good measure I call InterruptEnable() but I don't think that's really required. It didn't help anyway.

InterruptWait() simply never returns regardless of IRQ used. It really surprised me that IRQ0 didn't work for me.

It doesn't work when I use InterruptAttach() either with my own handler. The handler is never called. Nowhere do I get 
any failed functions.

What might I be doing wrong in 7.1 that works fine in 6.5 (apart from the procmgr_ability() call)?  I'm sure it's simple
!

Thanks,

Geoff.

But 
Re: Unable to catch hardware interrupts  
Hi,

before kill the UART driver just use "pidin irq" and "pidin mem" to spy
and learn where the things are. May help ;-)
Apparently you have a command line access to your board on 7.1

-- Alexandre
> Hi,
> 
> before kill the UART driver just use "pidin irq" and "pidin mem" to spy
> and learn where the things are. May help ;-)
> Apparently you have a command line access to your board on 7.1
> 
> -- Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

I did that. pidin -f NQ shows the IRQ's of devc-ser8250 as expected: 4 and 3 respectively.

After killing devc-ser8250 I start the example InterruptAttacheEvent() process (that I call sintr for no particular 
reason).

pidin -f NQ shows whatever IRQ I use - 0, 4, or 3.

pidin -f NQk shows all the process abilities I expected (including interruptevent).

I can build it using either the C or C++ compiler. Neither works - InterruptWait() never returns. However, in QNX6.5 
both work. No function returns a failure (typically -1)  and errno is always EOK.

I have access to the target x86_64 systems by either ssh, telnet, or local console (kbd/scn). Typically ssh.

Both are effectively PC's. The IEI TANK-610 is so called "embedded" but it's really just a "PC" reduced in physical size
 with no moving parts (big heat sink on top) powered from 12 to 36 VDC. Nothing special.

Note tat this is the first time I have attempted to catch hardware interrupts using 7.1 on an x86_64 system. I have 
however successfully been doing such things (with serial ports)  going back to the QNX2 days, right through QNX 4 and 
QNX6. Obviously 7.1 is different and I thought I had it covered. But apparently not! :-)

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

My best guess is that the driver left the interrupt masked. See if an explicit call to InterruptUnmask() helps.
If that's the case then the driver may be missing the _NTO_INTR_FLAGS_TRK_MSK flag in its InterruptAttach() call.

Also, you don't need I/O privileges to use InterruptAttachEvent(), just the PROCMGR_AID_INTERRUPTEVENT ability (which 
root should have).

--Elad
> Hi Geoff,
> 
> My best guess is that the driver left the interrupt masked. See if an explicit
>  call to InterruptUnmask() helps.
> If that's the case then the driver may be missing the _NTO_INTR_FLAGS_TRK_MSK 
> flag in its InterruptAttach() call.
> 
> Also, you don't need I/O privileges to use InterruptAttachEvent(), just the 
> PROCMGR_AID_INTERRUPTEVENT ability (which root should have).
> 
> --Elad

Hi Elad,

I tried a call to InterruptUnmask() but it didn't help. That's when I was still playing with IRQ's 3 & 4. I didn't do 
this when I tried IRQ 0. Didn't think I'd have to.

What I don't understand is why this code using IRQ 0 works with QNX6.5 and not 7.1. I am obviously able to hook into the
 timer interrupt with no apparent consequences. Tomorrow I'll try the UART's on the 32-bit QNX 6.5 machine for 
completeness.

But if it works, while the same source when built on 7.1 doesn't (regardless of whether or not I use the C or C++ 
compiler), what else is there with IRQ 0? 

I will try the InterruptUnmask() call on IRQ's 3 and 4 tomorrow but with IRQ 0???

Cheers,

Geoff.
This works for the clock interrupt on a 7.1 x86_64 machine:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/neutrino.h>
#include <sys/syspage.h>

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    struct sigevent ev;
    SIGEV_INTR_INIT(&ev);

int const intr = SYSPAGE_ENTRY(qtime)->intr;
    int const id = InterruptAttachEvent(intr, &ev, _NTO_INTR_FLAGS_TRK_MSK);
    if (id == -1) {
        perror("InterruptAttachEvent");
        return 1;
    }

for (unsigned i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
        InterruptWait(0, NULL);
        InterruptUnmask(intr, id);
    }

printf("Done\n");
    return 0;
}
> This works for the clock interrupt on a 7.1 x86_64 machine:

Indeed it does! :-)

Two lessons learnt from this exercise.

1. Don't assume the timer IRQ is 0. Use the SYSPAGE_ENTRY(qtime)->intr value! Which in my case under QNX 7.1 is IRQ2. 
But why IRQ0 worked in QNX 6.5 beats me but it threw me off. I seem to recall from the deep dim past that IRQ was a 
50mSec interrupt. QNX4? It was so long ago... I actually use SYSPAGE in some clock related routines I have but haven't 
touched them in years. So I forgot about it...

2. Make sure hardware (like UART's) you want to have generate interrupts are configured properly. In my case, I had 
forgotten that the GPO2 bit of the 16550 (8250) MCR register needs to be set.

So now I have my own version of the ser8250 driver working pretty much the way I want it.

Is there any documentation for the io-char library? I've looked but with no success.

Thanks,

Geoff.

> 
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <sys/neutrino.h>
> #include <sys/syspage.h>
> 
> int
> main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>     struct sigevent ev;
>     SIGEV_INTR_INIT(&ev);