Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 7.1 BSP for the Beaglebone (Black) Rev C: (6 Items)

QNX 7.1 BSP for the Beaglebone (Black) Rev C  
Does one exist? I can see one for 6.5 circa 2014 but can't find any in the QSC for 7.1

Thanks,

Geoff.
Re: QNX 7.1 BSP for the Beaglebone (Black) Rev C  
According to the public BSP list, there is one for 7.0 but not for 7.1:

https://blackberry.qnx.com/en/support/qnx-board-support-packages

You can try building the 7.0 BSP with the 7.1 SDP. YMMV.

As a note, this board uses Cortex-A8, which is really old and plagued by various errata that have been fixed in later 
ARM processors.

--Elad
Thanks Elad,

I think there is no BSP for 7.1 as the BB is 32 bit.

Whatever, I have turned this job down. I agree the board is very old and furthermore I am not keen to fire up my QNX 6.5
 development system - I'm having a great time with my 7.1 and want to move forwards instead of backwards!

Nor do I have the inclination to spend time learning about the BB architecture. I suspect it will be pretty much 
obsolete sooner rather than later. It has been chosen simply because it uses less power than a Raspberry Pi4. Too bad! :
-)

Cheers,

Geoff.

> I think there is no BSP for 7.1 as the BB is 32 bit.

32-bit ARMv7 is still supported on 7.1 - there is a BSP for the iMX6, for example, on that list.

Interesting comment about power consumption. I wonder if the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W can fill that niche. It is a new 
board with A53 cores (so has a MMU and can thus in theory run QNX.

--Elad
> > I think there is no BSP for 7.1 as the BB is 32 bit.
> 
> 32-bit ARMv7 is still supported on 7.1 - there is a BSP for the iMX6, for 
> example, on that list.
> 
> Interesting comment about power consumption. I wonder if the Raspberry Pi Zero
>  2 W can fill that niche. It is a new board with A53 cores (so has a MMU and 
> can thus in theory run QNX.
> 

> --Elad

Personally I am not that much interested in a project that uses hardware that probably has a short life expectancy. It 
hurt to turn this prospect down.

However, I am interested in what you say about the the RPi Zero. I wasn't aware of this model. An A53 is attractive to 
me as it is this processor that I am using with the Xilinx ZCu-xxx SOC's. I will research it.

For this particular application the power consumption  has to be 200 mA or lower. The RPi4 is double this and I'm not 
sure what can be done to reduce it. 

They have decided that they will use a Beagle Bone with an assortment of PIC processors to achieve what they want. If 
the RPi Zero (whatever it is) meets their power consumption requirements, and if I can get 7.1 working on it, then I 
might be able to turn this around. The potential is quite good in terms of ongoing system numbers.

I can't discuss the application on this forum. I'd like to make a case for QNX with this. I am hoping you can find my 
email address and perhaps engage with me offline on this. 

Geoff.

Check your LinkedIn account.

--Elad