Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Utilities and tools available for QNX 6.6 / QNX 7?: (2 Items)

Utilities and tools available for QNX 6.6 / QNX 7?  
We have 100+ systems deployed on QNX 6.4/6.5 and some use the Photon GUI. I understand that this environment is now 
obsolete and I'm evaluating our options for upgrading.

Which graphical toolkit are you using with QNX 6.6 and above? Qt? Crank? What else?

We currently rely on some binaries available here: http://archive.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc-archive/packages/QNX/i386/6.5.
0_head_20110826/All/ ,this is getting old as well...
Are utilities like MySQL, (lib)curl, wget, msmtp, (lib)iconv, Python (AWS CLI), Git, SVN available in binary format for 
newer versions of QNX?

I couldn't find much information related to our concerns in this forum, please let me know if there's a better place to 
discuss them.

Thank you!
Re: Utilities and tools available for QNX 6.6 / QNX 7?  
Hi Martin,

I can't speak for the community at large - I suspect most of us are using very idiosyncratic solutions.   I can tell you
 a little bit about our current platform, though:

- Base system is QNX 6.6 on x86
- Thanks to QNX's excellent binary backwards compatibility in the 6.x version series, we are actually still using QNX 
Photon pulled from QNX 6.5.  Driver support stops at Ivy Bridge, though, and we found we needed to manually turn off 
some GPU power management features or the drivers would get confused.
- We're also still using enum-devices to automatically configure our platform for the detected hardware; we added an 
ACPI enumerator based on acpica to support 2010+ era BIOSes
- AFAIK there is no source regularly producing a binary distribution based on QNX.  QNX 6.6 ships with a build of 
openssl and libcurl, though it's a bit dated now.  You'll generally have to port and compile your own versions of most 
open source packages.   That said, by and large doing a basic QNX port of most projects is generally quite 
straightforward; I think we spent more time dealing with problems with the cross-compiling environment than we did with 
application code itself.  We ended up maintaining our own ports tree of open source packages, using pacman/makepkg to 
manage installation and openrc for service management.  I can confirm that MySQL, Python 3, recent openssl, curl, and 
git can all be built for QNX 6.6 without too much trouble; we've even got a build of scipy up and running now.

I can't speak much for newer versions of QNX (7.x) because for us, the deprecation of Photon and hardware enumeration 
capability come at a large migration cost.  From what I gather it's even easier to port open source software than it was
 for QNX 6.6, which is encouraging.  Moving forward, we are likely going to replace our Photon UI with a web-based 
solution accessing the real-time system from a remote terminal (such as a consumer-grade tablet or phone) via a network 
connection rather than deeply embedding the operator interface.

Hope this is of some help,
-Will