Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - adaptive partitioning: (1 Item)

adaptive partitioning  
Hi,

I have a fairly simple question on adaptive partitioning and its usage.  The user guide indicates that it is possible to
 setup a partition for emergency access.

http://support7.qnx.com/download/download/26167/QNX_Adaptive_Partitioning_User_Guide_.pdf
Emergency access to the system
You can use adaptive partitioning to make it easier to debug an embedded system by
providing emergency access to it:
• during development — create a partition and start io-pkt and qconn in it. Then,
if a runaway process ties up the system, you can use the IDE to debug and query
the system.
• during deployment — create a partition and start io-pkt and inetd in it. If you
encounter a problem, you can telnet into the system.
In either case, if you don't need to use this partition, the thread scheduler allocates
its budget among the other partitions. This provides you with emergency access to the
system without compromising performance.

My question relates to the above as I have successfully created a "debug" partition and placed io-pkt, qconn, inetd, 
along with devc-pty.  My specific issue starts when a process containing a while(1) thread occurs in the system 
partition - it starves the shell even for the "debug" partition.  Is it possible to have a shell in this "debug" 
partition too so that a bullet-proof partition exists?

Beyond these questions, am I correct in stating that a good design practice is to keep the system partition minimal and 
have the io-pkt, qconn, inetd in a "debug" partition with all "application" code running in their own separate 
partition(s)?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dale
Associations:
topc4671:
              New to Adaptive Partitioning, problems on PXA270 - Is the -p option to procnto the recommended solution or has there been improvements made? - Dale Wolfe(deleted)