Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Error message: "Unable to access /dev/xyz": (2 Items)

Error message: "Unable to access /dev/xyz"  
Hi:

I am seeing the following error message being reported on the serial console:

Unable to access "/dev/fpga" (2)

The resource manager that owns this device is started very early in our buildifs and for some reason it periodically 
just dies on startup. The setup for the resource manager basically just mmaps a portion of our fpga physical memory and 
then just sits there to service any of the read\write\ioctl messages. I don't see any error messages associated with the
 startup of the resource manager i.e. any of the boiler plate code calls for the setup or the mmap call itself. The 
indications I have that the RM failed is
1) the above log in the console - although it is not generated by the RM so it must be the kernel
2) clients complaining of failures opening /dev/fpga
3) absence of the process in a pidin dump

So what in the kernel generates the above log message and any idea what causes it to do so?

This is QNX6.3.2 running on a PPC405EP.

thanks
robert
Re: Error message: "Unable to access /dev/xyz"  
That's probably waitfor, and the 2 is simply the errno - ie it couldn't open the supplied path because it wasn't there.

Robert D'Attilio wrote:
> Hi:
> 
> I am seeing the following error message being reported on the serial console:
> 
> Unable to access "/dev/fpga" (2)
> 
> The resource manager that owns this device is started very early in our buildifs and for some reason it periodically 
just dies on startup. The setup for the resource manager basically just mmaps a portion of our fpga physical memory and 
then just sits there to service any of the read\write\ioctl messages. I don't see any error messages associated with the
 startup of the resource manager i.e. any of the boiler plate code calls for the setup or the mmap call itself. The 
indications I have that the RM failed is
> 1) the above log in the console - although it is not generated by the RM so it must be the kernel
> 2) clients complaining of failures opening /dev/fpga
> 3) absence of the process in a pidin dump
> 
> So what in the kernel generates the above log message and any idea what causes it to do so?
> 
> This is QNX6.3.2 running on a PPC405EP.
> 
> thanks
> robert
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post39115
>