Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Renesas H8S: (4 Items)

Renesas H8S  
Good morning,
I want to submit a simple question.
Neutrino is able to run over some CPU architectures, but seems to miss the  Microcontroller architectures. Other RTOS 
are able to do it.
Is this true? If it is true, is it possible to port it on a renesas H8S family?

Thanks,
Mario.
Re: Renesas H8S  
Neutrino requires a 32-bit processor with a Memory Management Unit as minimal capabilities.  The MMU is required to 
provide the isolation of the microkernel which is key to having a robust OS.  The H8S doesn't qualify.

There has been talk from time to time about doing a non-MMU "QNX Lite" version of the OS, but this has never progressed 
beyond the talking stage.  Because the OS source code is now open, I don't know if any external groups have taken up 
this challenge.  It would be a great deal of work, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
This kind of QNX RTOS can be very useful to create an homogeneous OS Distribute Control System (DCS) in environment 
where there are heterogeneous processors.
Think about a main board where run a SCADA, database, and so on, connected to remote board (built using microcontroller)
 able to communicate toward the main board using the QNET protocol. 
In this scenario main and remote board share the resources without the need of particular software library.
The system can scale up in a simple way: just attach the board to the communication channel!!
I think it can be appreciate from the embedded world. 
The controlling systems are moving to DCS scenario, but not all board are based on sophisticated CPU.
> This kind of QNX RTOS can be very useful to create an homogeneous OS 
> Distribute Control System (DCS) in environment where there are heterogeneous 
> processors.
> Think about a main board where run a SCADA, database, and so on, connected to 
> remote board (built using microcontroller) able to communicate toward the main
>  board using the QNET protocol. 
> In this scenario main and remote board share the resources without the need of
>  particular software library.
> The system can scale up in a simple way: just attach the board to the 
> communication channel!!
> I think it can be appreciate from the embedded world. 
> The controlling systems are moving to DCS scenario, but not all board are 
> based on sophisticated CPU.

In the early days of Neutrino 1.0 and 2.0 I believe there was NON MMU versions. I can only speculate as to why it was 
abandoned.   Maintaining a MMU and NON MMU version while maintaining compatibility would required lots of work.  Not to 
mention the enormous number of micro controller model out there to support.

Micro controler have a very different set of requirement, I don't think  libc.so at 665k would be a great fit ;-)