Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Licensing: (3 Items)

Licensing  
I was looking over the licensing and I am no where near to being a lawyer, so I had a question. If I were to use 
Neutrino at work, but only as a debug tool for our product (not shipping to customers). How does that sit with the 
licensing? Is Neutrino all covered by the Apache license?

Thanks

slide
Re: Licensing  
> I was looking over the licensing and I am no where near to being a lawyer, so 
> I had a question. If I were to use Neutrino at work, but only as a debug tool 
> for our product (not shipping to customers). How does that sit with the 
> licensing? Is Neutrino all covered by the Apache license?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> slide

No, Neutrino is not all covered by the Apache license.  In fact only
the hardware drivers are.  The rest of the published source is covered by QNX licenses.

Looking at your use, my understanding is:
1) You are using at work, presumably this is a commercial enterprise.
2) You aren't shipping Neutrino, but you are using a runtime instance
of it (I'm assuming based on your statement) which is a commercial use.
... or ... some other use.

If you post more about how you are using it we can sort things out a bit more concretely.

Re: Licensing  
Thanks for your inquiry. Our QNX Neutrino RTOS is not covered by the Apache License, Version 2.0; however, we have 
published a number of Board Support Packages under Apache 2.0 in order to accelerate broader Neutrino RTOS hardware and 
peripheral support. There will be other code to follow, but we have no plans to publish our Neutrino RTOS under Apache 2

We have three licenses that developers can use to license both the QNX Momentics Development Tools and the Neutrino RTOS
 for development purposes.  They are described at http://licensing.qnx.com/developer-licenses. It does not sound like 
your intended use would qualify under our Partner Software License Agreement. The Non-Commercial End User License 
Agreement is intended to enable those who want to explore our technologies (e.g., evaluators, hobbyists, students, 
academic faculty), but in accordance with its title it prohibits use in any commercial undertaking. It sounds like you 
should be checking out our Commercial Software License Agreement (CSLA).  The CSLA allows you to use the Momentics 
development tools for commercial purposes. I'm not sure whether you intend to use the our Momentics development tools 
(running on one of the 3 host OS's) as your debug tool, or if you want to use Neutrino to host your own debug 
application.  If it is the latter then you would also need a runtime license for each copy of the Neutrino RTOS that you
 are installing on your debug platforms.  I hope this helps explain our licensing.  Let us know if we can provide you 
with any other information.

- Fred