Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - Steps to get a bootable .ifs file?: Page 1 of 7 (7 Items)

Steps to get a bootable .ifs file?  
Hi Everybody,

Just started exploring QNX. Installed Momentics 6.3.2 on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04).
I am using the QNX System Builder to generate a "bootable" .ifs file using the
provided bios.build file for x86 platform. 

On building the project (I did not change anything from the default values), I get
no errors, and I get a .ifs file. I intend to use dd to copy this to a floppy and boot
the system (any normal PC). But using the 'file' command on this .ifs file, I find that
'file' thinks this is a data file (instead of the expected 'x86 boot sector'... at least
that's what I expected).

Could you please explain what am I missing. I just want to build a small bootable
qnx image that I can boot using a floppy (and maybe later from a pendrive). At first
I just want to see it booting. Later I want to put my own 'hello world' executable in
it and see that message once the system boots.

Could you please give the complete steps involved for doing the above (either via
momentics or (preferably) via the command line), and attach a 'typescript' file for
the commands you gave to create it? Once I overcome this initial hurdle, I think 
I will be able to understand the manuals better.

I know I am asking for quite a bit of handholding. But I guess my experience with 
eCos is preventing me from seeing the actual way to create a bootable qnx image.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee