Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - How to create a build file for a simple C project using the IDE?: (5 Items)

How to create a build file for a simple C project using the IDE?  
Dear all,

I'm trying to create a build file for a simple 'C' project. After creating the  build file I'd like to make a image for 
that build file. 

For creating a build file for a simple 'C' project what are the steps to be done in the IDE? How to create a Hello.build
 file for a simple C file. 

After creating the build file, what are the steps in making a bootable image of that build file and how to make it using
 a simplified BSP?

Thanx in advance.

Arnab
Re: How to create a build file for a simple C project using the IDE?  
Use IDE System Builder, doc: http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3.2/ide_en/user_guide/builder.html
(or available from IDE help).

The relation to "simple C" project would be that you pick one (or more) binaries from this project to include the image.

ARNAB SADHUKHAN wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> I'm trying to create a build file for a simple 'C' project. After creating the  build file I'd like to make a image 
for that build file. 
> 
> For creating a build file for a simple 'C' project what are the steps to be done in the IDE? How to create a Hello.
build file for a simple C file. 
> 
> After creating the build file, what are the steps in making a bootable image of that build file and how to make it 
using a simplified BSP?
> 
> 
> Thanx in advance.
> 
> Arnab
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QNX Momentics Getting Started
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post15763
> 
Hello Arnab,
Please take into account differences between the QNX C Project and QNX System Builder Project.
With QNX C Project you can create an executable, such as “Hello world”. However QNX C Project is not for building 
system images. For this purpose you may use QNX System Builder Project. You can include your executables (created within
 C project) into the image.
For details, check Building Embedded Systems in the IDE documentation.
Regards,
Yuriy
Hi Yuriy,

As I'm very new to QNX, I'm little bit confused. 

My target is writing a simple C program, making an executable image, transfer that image to a floppy, and then boot any 
system from that floppy. If my steps are wrong in running the C program, pls guide me. 

First I've created a New QNX C Project name "Hello". QNX is providing a default template for that, hello.c file.
----
printf("Welcome to the Momentics IDE\n");
----

Next I'm building the project "Hello".

Now my question is when I'll again create a QNX System Builder Image Project for creating the executable image, it 
requires "Import Existing Buildfile". Now which file from the above "Hello" project I would mention so that the IDE 
would create the executable image for the simple C file.

Thanx in advance. 

Regards, 

Arnab

Hello Arnab,
“My target is writing a simple C program, making an executable image…”
That is not exactly clear. If you compile and build a program, the result is an executable (executable code, executable 
program). According to the accepted word usage, “image” is something different – it is the whole OS (and possibly 
applications) ready to be booted and run. 
You should follow these steps:
1. Create image of the operating system and transfer it to a target computer
2. Build your application
3. Transfer your executable to the target computer.
4. Run (or debug).
It is highly desirable to read the documentation, as suggested in one of the previous posts.
Regards,
Yuriy