Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX Momentics suddenly slow!: (12 Items)

QNX Momentics suddenly slow!  
Hi,

I wonder if somebody can help me with this.

I've been using the QNX Momentics IDE on Windows XP for several months now. Until now, the project builds have been 
typically quite fast, but today almost everything the IDE does has suddenly become very slow: cleaning project builds, 
making new builds. Even opening AppBuilder has become very slow. 

I should mention that I haven't made any significant changes to my QNX project today. Interestingly, this started to 
happen after I installed a few Windows updates - I've no idea if it has something to do. Any help on his matter will be 

appreciated.

Gabriel
Re: QNX Momentics suddenly slow!  
Gabriel Aguirre-Ollinger wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I wonder if somebody can help me with this.
> 
> I've been using the QNX Momentics IDE on Windows XP for several months now. Until now, the project builds have been 
> typically quite fast, but today almost everything the IDE does has suddenly become very slow: cleaning project builds,

> making new builds. Even opening AppBuilder has become very slow. 
> 
> I should mention that I haven't made any significant changes to my QNX project today. Interestingly, this started to 
> happen after I installed a few Windows updates - I've no idea if it has something to do. Any help on his matter will 
be 
> appreciated.
> 

Maybe you have some background process running? Something like antivirus scanner? Try viewing where is the cpu time 
going (for example, by using Task Manager).

I don't think there's a process using the CPU in excess. The "background" CPU usage (w/the antivirus running) fluctuates
 between 3 and 7%. 
Are you low on your disk space? Try to run defragment.

Gabriel Aguirre-Ollinger wrote:
> I don't think there's a process using the CPU in excess. The "background" CPU usage (w/the antivirus running) 
fluctuates between 3 and 7%. 
>
> _______________________________________________
> QNX Momentics Getting Started
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post11493
>
>   
HELP!!!

I encounter the same problem, on both XP and Linux(Ubuntu) and the Linux one does not need to be defraged;

Whenever the IDE is running even the simplest click, the CPU runs up to more than 90%, and it takes forever to finish...

I really want to know why! and somebody from QNX pls. help!!

Regards,
Shannon
RE: QNX Momentics suddenly slow!  
One thing to check on XP is to find out what the system is doing.  If
you bring up task manager and see which processes are using the most CPU
while things are slow, this should help to diagnose where the CPU is
being used.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:18 PM
To: momenticsgs-community
Subject: Re: QNX Momentics suddenly slow!

HELP!!!

I encounter the same problem, on both XP and Linux(Ubuntu) and the Linux
one does not need to be defraged;

Whenever the IDE is running even the simplest click, the CPU runs up to
more than 90%, and it takes forever to finish...

I really want to know why! and somebody from QNX pls. help!!

Regards,
Shannon

In both system (XP and Linux) the CPU was occupied by QDE up to more than 90%, it will eventually run through, but one 
click will take a few minutes -- which is very frustrating; 

But this is only to QDE itself, so if I shut down the process, every thing goes back to normal.

I attached some screen shots running QDE from my Linux laptop, the 1st one is when I right click one of the project name
, and you can see the process start to run; the 2nd is the program is still in the middle of the it and trying to 
response, and when you check the clock at the bottom of the screen -- it has been 2 minutes already;

I'd appreciate any input regarding this. 

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.
Shannon
Attachment: Image Screenshot-QDE-2.png 125.67 KB
Re: RE: QNX Momentics suddenly slow!  
Anything happened between slow and not slow versions run? Hardware install? Linux updates? New eclipse plugins? New Java
?

I can't think of anything except garbage collection now, enable heap status in Windows->Prefercens->General
Show Heap Status

and see it comes close to max when it is slow
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:36:26 +0400, Elena Laskavaia  
<community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

> Anything happened between slow and not slow versions run? Hardware  
> install? Linux updates? New eclipse plugins? New Java?
>
> I can't think of anything except garbage collection now, enable heap  
> status in Windows->Prefercens->General
> Show Heap Status
>
> and see it comes close to max when it is slow
>

I would add another possible change: did your project grow? Have you added  
new resources like HTML?

If yes, you may want to play with the JVM parameters since IDE may want  
more resources.

-- 
Andrei Gerasimenko
Hi,

First of all, nothing was updated or upgraded, all the changes are project wise and very minimum; 

But as I observe the memory and CPU utilization, by accident, I took a glance at one of the project make files -- common
.mk,  it shocked me that it has an endless of "-Diotcl" -- I have only one defined via the IDE, and I never seen it like
 that before, (pls. attach);

Well,  apparently that was the culprit! I have no idea why it was introduced, and I can't see it from GUI ( I discover 
it by "less" the common.mk file, not from IDE) , and now everything go back to normal; ( I actually install the IDE in 
another Linux machine..but same thing happen as I load my project ); But is this some bug from QNX IDE? 

I hope this info will be helpful, if anyone need more info. regarding this, I'd be glad to give more;

Thanks for all the help,
Happy holiday!
Shannon
Attachment: Text common.mk.Dioctl 107.15 KB
Hello Shannon,

It would be great if you can provide response to a couple of questions. It would be great if you can also attach your 
project (if it not too much to ask).

What version of QNX Momentics and IDE are you using (I guess that are you using Momentics 6.3.2 and IDE 4.5)? Could you 
please verify and post your version of Momentics and IDE.

Can you confirm that your project is created in previous version of IDE (maybe 4.0.1) and then imported to IDE 4.5?

Would you be able to recall what changes were applied to the project prior to slowdown?

Thanks a lot,

Dejan 
Hi Dejan ,

We are using 6.3.2, the project was created under IDE 6.3.2; 
I found out the revision that this problem was introduced, attached is the diff result; and this is pretty much all the 
changes; but I could not see these endless Dioctl from the IDE even I reload the project with the troublesome common.mk

Regards,
Shannon
Attachment: Word endless-Dioctl.rtf 15.39 MB