Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Adding Screen Add on to 6.5.0SP1 image : (9 Items)

Adding Screen Add on to 6.5.0SP1 image  
I have an image I've built in Momentix 4.7 for 6.5.0SP1 (based on the smallusb image).  It took a while, but I have the 
x86  platform booting from the USB stick, and now from the SSD.

I would like to add the Screen functionality, but I don't know where to start.  The add-on in installed, and  see the 
screen files and libraries are C:\QNX650\target\qnx6\x86

But I don't see in the docs how to add it - all I see is how to write apps using it?
Re: Adding Screen Add on to 6.5.0SP1 image  
From the Release Notes posted with the Screen for 6.5.0 SP1 download:

Screen Graphics Subsystem for QNX SDP 6.5 SP1 is supported on the following platforms:

Nexcom VTC-1010
NXP i.MX6D/Q SABRE Platform for Smart Devices (also known as "SABRE Smart”)

Is your board the Nexcom ?

Dave
Thanks Dave,

no it's not.
Nexcom VTC-1010 - This is Bay Trail Intel platform launched in 2013
NXP i.MX6D/Q SABRE --- This one is ARM based  - totally difference

My platform is based off the Intel Brawell Celeron N3010 - came out in Q1  2015.  It's about as generic as generic gets 
in x86 Intel world.

So I would test it - but my original problem remains - that the documentation does not tell you how to included it in a 
project.  That seems to be an intentional oversight.
It is intentional from the perspective that you need support for the specific GPU in order to run Screen.  Only the 
boards mentioned in the Release notes currently have Screen support for QNX 6.5.0 SP1.  For those two boards, one ARM, 
one x86, there is a BSP with a build file.  Building that IFS will result in an image with Screen support included.
Dan,

If you would like to try it on your board, while not supported, you can certainly see what needs to be included for 
Screen.
The documentation really exists as BUILD files for the supported board, which you can access from the BSP and Drivers 
project on Foundry.
Two build files are included as part of the Nexcom BSP, one with Screen and one without Screen.  By comparing the two 
build files, you will be able to see what additional components need to be included and any path specific or env 
variables that need to be set.

I have provided a link to the Nexcom VTC1010 BSP (QNX 6.5.0 SP1):

http://community.qnx.com/sf/frs/do/listReleases/projects.bsp/frs.nexcom_vtc1010

You will also find a BSP Users Guide that may be of some help but note that many of the instructions are specific to the
 VTC1010 board.

I hope that helps,

Dave
Thanks Dave,

That was a reasonable suggestion.  I downloaded and loaded up that Nexcom BSP into Momentix.  The good news was the .ifs
 file booted, with output to the console.

The screen didn't work - I see the libraries and calls in the .bsh file for it - it failed pretty silently
USB didn't work.  Not sure what combination of  uhci, ahci, ohci, xhci does the trick  - I'm still monkeying around with
 that.

The screen not working seems like it could be a black hole of trying to find out why with the limited documentation, 
error messages, etc.  The Nexcom platform is pretty old, but the BSP files are dated much later than the release of that
 hardware - so I am assuming there is a chance they could support something newer.

Oh well - the QNX efforts and struggles continue....
The BSP for the Nexcom board only supports that board, so you will have to make some modifications to the build file 
that are specific to the hardware on your board.  No other x86 board is currently supported for 6.5.0 SP1 Screen product
.  It may or may not be possible to boot any other boards, certainly the GPU would have to be compatible, if it is not, 
then a custom driver would need to me written.

Thanks Dave,

I have a board with the same family processor as that Nexcom thing.  I'll give that a go.  If that works, then the 
screen driver only supports that vintage CPU.  It would suck to start a new project with a 3 year old processor that's 
halfway through it's product life, but custom driver development is not really an option at this point.

Comparison Chart (nexcom vs the N3010 one I'm working with):
CPU	        E3827	             N3010
Family	        Bay Trail   	      Braswell
Release	        Q4'13	             Q1'16
Graphics	Intel® HD Graphics	Intel® HD Graphics 400
Ethernet	        Intel@ Ethernet I210 Series	Intel@ Ethernet I210 Series
Audio  	        Realtek H.D.A.	Realtek ALC888S-VD2-GR

(formatting is pretty crappy, no options to change font or add table. - sorry)
i gave this a go with an Intel E3825 platform - which is virtually identical to the Nexcom platform.  

The screen functionality initializes, but the screen just goes black, and the OS locks up. No debug information.

Not having much luck with this alternate hardware either.