Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Remote debugging: (5 Items)

Remote debugging  
I want to debug application which is running on target. The application is build using jam based build system, so I 
don't have project which I can open in IDE. I haven't found the way to debug application using IDE if IDE wasn't used in
 build process (I'm sorry, if I am wrong, I'm new to the IDE, just let me know if I should try again). My idea was to 
use gdb server. I've build it under linux using cross compiler from QNX installation disk, but I can't connect to it for
 some reason. Could you share your experience concerning debugging without IDE.

Thanks in advance
Re: Remote debugging  
gdbserver built for linux won't help because qnx is not linux.

You can do standard "QNX Attach to Running Process" launch configuration.
* Create a fake makefile project, as location specify location of your 
project on disk (pre-built)
* Open Run->Debug Configurations...
* Select "QNX Attach to Running Process" debug configuration, press New 
button
* Select your binary, click Debug (If you have your shared libs set 
paths in Debug tab first).
* Select you process (that should match your binary) and click ok.
* It attaches in random place. Place continue to hit your breakpoints if 
you set any.

On 12-12-01 04:53 PM, Ivan Not specified wrote:
> I want to debug application which is running on target. The application is build using jam based build system, so I 
don't have project which I can open in IDE. I haven't found the way to debug application using IDE if IDE wasn't used in
 build process (I'm sorry, if I am wrong, I'm new to the IDE, just let me know if I should try again). My idea was to 
use gdb server. I've build it under linux using cross compiler from QNX installation disk, but I can't connect to it for
 some reason. Could you share your experience concerning debugging without IDE.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> QNX Momentics Getting Started
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97710
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail momenticsgs-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Thanks a lot! Your answer is very helpfull. I've attached to remote process. Currently I have another problem: when I 
attach to process its execution stops, then after attempt to resume it, process receives sigkill. It looks like 
something project specific. I mention that only because I don't want to miss a chance to receive some new advice.
SIGKILL? How do you know? This signal cannot be intercepted. When you 
resume gdb will send SIGCONT to process. If you sure about SIGKILL can it
be the watchdog in your system that thinks that process stopped 
responding for too long and kills it?

On 12-12-05 05:09 AM, Ivan Not specified wrote:
> Thanks a lot! Your answer is very helpfull. I've attached to remote process. Currently I have another problem: when I 
attach to process its execution stops, then after attempt to resume it, process receives sigkill. It looks like 
something project specific. I mention that only because I don't want to miss a chance to receive some new advice.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> QNX Momentics Getting Started
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97802
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail momenticsgs-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

There was message "Program received signal SIGKILL, Killed." in console, so I decided process I was debugging received 
that signal. I completely forgot about watchdog! There is an application which starts process I want to debug, it allows
 to specify whether watchdog is enabled and heartbeat interval. Now I can to resume execution and everything continue to
 work. Thank you!