Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Newbie - how to create multiple Ethernet ports: (3 Items)

Newbie - how to create multiple Ethernet ports  
So my development is based on BSP for MPC8641D board that support 4 eTSECs.  I've seen examples on setting up 1 instance
 of Ethernet using io-net.  But how do I create multiple instances of it, each associates with a specific unique MAC 
address for a specific TSECn (and perhaps with some other slightly different configuration)?

I've seen in some posts using ifconfig <interface>.  Does <interface> naming have any bearing with device naming (e.g. 
TSEC0, vs. en0 etc)?

I've also seen in devn-mpc85xx.use file the specification of syspage on the io-net script line.  What (e.g. which field)
 would you use to specify anything presumably hardware specific for each instance of Ethernet Controller?

Some example scripts for creating multiple ports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymond
Re: Newbie - how to create multiple Ethernet ports  
Please cross n post your question here:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listTopics/projects.networking/discussion.technology/

Jeevan

> So my development is based on BSP for MPC8641D board that support 4 eTSECs.  
> I've seen examples on setting up 1 instance of Ethernet using io-net.  But how
>  do I create multiple instances of it, each associates with a specific unique 
> MAC address for a specific TSECn (and perhaps with some other slightly 
> different configuration)?
> 
> I've seen in some posts using ifconfig <interface>.  Does <interface> naming have any bearing with 
> device naming (e.g. TSEC0, vs. en0 etc)?
> 
> I've also seen in devn-mpc85xx.use file the specification of syspage on the io
> -net script line.  What (e.g. which field) would you use to specify anything 
> presumably hardware specific for each instance of Ethernet Controller?
> 
> Some example scripts for creating multiple ports would be greatly appreciated.
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> Raymond

RE: Newbie - how to create multiple Ethernet ports  
There are two ways to do this.  One is through the system page which is created in the init_hwinfo.c file in the BSP.  
This places information about each interface in a location in memory (the system page) that the driver can access (when 
you give it the syspage option).  This is the "recommended" way of doing it.

You can also do the equivalent with ifconfig.  The 8641 uses the devnp-mpc85xx driver (if you're on 6.4.0 with io-pkt). 
 It will create tsec0, tsec1, tsec2 and tsec3 interfaces for you.  The enx naming convention is used when you use the 
old-style io-net driver (devn-mpc85xx.so).

I'd recommend that you take a look through the networking wiki

http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.networking/wiki/HomePage

for more information.

A similar question also came up recently here

http://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.networking/discussion.drivers.topc6957

Robert.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 4/23/2009 1:37 AM
To: momentics-community
Subject: Newbie - how to create multiple Ethernet ports

So my development is based on BSP for MPC8641D board that support 4 eTSECs.  I've seen examples on setting up 1 instance
 of Ethernet using io-net.  But how do I create multiple instances of it, each associates with a specific unique MAC 
address for a specific TSECn (and perhaps with some other slightly different configuration)?

I've seen in some posts using ifconfig <interface>.  Does <interface> naming have any bearing with device naming (e.g. 
TSEC0, vs. en0 etc)?

I've also seen in devn-mpc85xx.use file the specification of syspage on the io-net script line.  What (e.g. which field)
 would you use to specify anything presumably hardware specific for each instance of Ethernet Controller?

Some example scripts for creating multiple ports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymond

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 3.53 KB