Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Initialising New Open type type fonts: (7 Items)

Initialising New Open type type fonts  
Hi,

I'm a newbie to QNX. I have just installed QNX 6.3.2 in my system and I want to develop an application which uses an 
Open type font. I have the .tf file for the open type font and I have copied the same into the font repository. When I 
restart my system I'm not able to find that font type detected by photon! 

Please let me know the procedure to install open type fonts, if someone knows. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Lakshminarayanan
Re: Initialising New Open type type fonts  
Open type fonts are not supported yet.

Here is a list of the supported types:

TrueType 
TrueType collections 
Bitstream TrueDoc PFR 
Photon Bitmap 
Bitstream Stroke 
Bitstream Speedo 
Bitstream T2K 
Adobe Type1 
Adobe Type2 

-Misha.
Hey, first of all, thanks for your response!

But, I learnt from one of the QNX vendors that Open type fonts are supported. Appending more information onto it, when I
 try to view sample of the font after depositing the .otf file in font_repository I get a message in the terminal "
Rendering DLL's not found for that type of fonts". So I guess there should be rendering DLL's for open type fonts as it 
is available for ttf fonts.

Any other views on this?

And How do you install the fonts? I guess it is not sufficient if you just drop it in the repository. In earlier 
versions, there used to be the mkfontdir command for absorbing it into the repository. 

Regards,
Lakshminarayanan
I tried mkfontdir and it loads the existing DLL's and I doubt if any of these DLL's support open type fonts. Any idea on
 what DLL supports open type fonts?

Lakshminarayanan
There is no plug-in that supports OpenType yet. The supported types I listed in the original reply. 
You need to use mkfontdir to rebuild fontdir file. Here is the link to the docs: http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.
0/photon/prog_guide/embed.html#configuring_fonts
Got it! As you said Open type fonts are not supported in QNX. But, if you look into the formats of open type fonts, they
 are available in three different formats viz. post script(.otf) format and true type format(.ttf)(One more is there).

So, if you have open type font in true type format (.ttf) then you can very well install it in QNX. I tried an open type
 font with .ttf format in QNX and it worked. Now I need to find the .ttf for my open type font...

Thanks again!
Lakshminarayanan
Got it! As you said Open type fonts are not supported in QNX. But, if you look into the formats of open type fonts, they
 are available in three different formats viz. post script(.otf) format and true type format(.ttf)(One more is there).

So, if you have open type font in true type format (.ttf) then you can very well install it in QNX. I tried an open type
 font with .ttf format in QNX and it worked. Now I need to find the .ttf for my open type font...

Thanks again!
Lakshminarayanan