Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Application Profiler problem: (19 Items)

Application Profiler problem  
When doing application profiling, when one double-click (select) specific functions in the overview, an editor view is 
supposed to show up with extra horizontal bars showing resource consumption.

This view would not be generated, just a gray editor view with an error
(more...) button.

Reinstalling did not work, copying the workspace from another machine that is working also not work.

However a comparable view for code coverage did work, even though that is probably not related.

Any ideas what is causing this?
RE: Application Profiler problem  
Can you give more information, such as the Momentics version, the IDE
version, and whether you are running on Windows or self hosted?

Thanks,
Max 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:55 AM
To: momentics-community
Subject: Application Profiler problem

When doing application profiling, when one double-click (select)
specific functions in the overview, an editor view is supposed to show
up with extra horizontal bars showing resource consumption.

This view would not be generated, just a gray editor view with an error
(more...) button.

Reinstalling did not work, copying the workspace from another machine
that is working also not work.

However a comparable view for code coverage did work, even though that
is probably not related.

Any ideas what is causing this?

What is the error say?
Is you file visible from workspace? (I.e. IDE has a project that this file is visible from)
What is in the log (workspace/.metadata/.log)?

Edward Lee wrote:
> When doing application profiling, when one double-click (select) specific functions in the overview, an editor view is
 supposed to show up with extra horizontal bars showing resource consumption.
> 
> This view would not be generated, just a gray editor view with an error
> (more...) button.
> 
> Reinstalling did not work, copying the workspace from another machine that is working also not work.
> 
> However a comparable view for code coverage did work, even though that is probably not related.
> 
> Any ideas what is causing this?
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QNX Momentics Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post14247
> 
Attachment: Text elaskavaia.vcf 116 bytes
Re: Application Profiler problem  
I will ask the customer for these feedback ...
Thanks!!
- Ed
I am actually only an intermediary here also, but here goes:

Error message:
Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor does not have a document 
provider

Platform:
6.3.2 (vanilla version, no special setup (almost)), windows host on Windows XP, and yes the same source is ok in code 
coverage view, and c/c++ editor even at the same time as it is impossible to view in the profile editor view.
What is IDE version? Default that comes with 6.3.2? (IDE 4.0.1?)
Still need error from the log file.

George Refseth wrote:
> I am actually only an intermediary here also, but here goes:
> 
> Error message:
> Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor does not have a document 
provider
> 
> Platform:
> 6.3.2 (vanilla version, no special setup (almost)), windows host on Windows XP, and yes the same source is ok in code 
coverage view, and c/c++ editor even at the same time as it is impossible to view in the profile editor view.
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post14252
> 
This is the version:

Version: 4.0.1
Build id: I20070321

And i've attached the errorlog to this message...
Attachment: Text log.mht 982.8 KB
It happened before when file that you try to open is not visible from IDE, i.e. it is not part of any project.
If it is the case you can create a project with linked resource and point it to directory containing this file. That 
should fix it.
I have the same problem, my project includes just one C++ file. I compile out of the IDE (qcc .... -p -g). I can debug 
it, I can also see the sampling information and the call graph in the profile perspective , but when I double click on a
 function I get the error "Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor does
 not have a document provider" .

Momentics 4.0.1 - ppc core . QNX 6.3.0 
It happened for "external files", if you file in the project it should work... Is you project inside the workspace or 
used advanced option to create it in different location?

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
> I have the same problem, my project includes just one C++ file. I compile out of the IDE (qcc .... -p -g). I can debug
 it, I can also see the sampling information and the call graph in the profile perspective , but when I double click on 
a function I get the error "Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor 
does not have a document provider" .
> 
> Momentics 4.0.1 - ppc core . QNX 6.3.0 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post14807
> 
I have created the project with the profile "Standard C++ project" .  3 files file.cpp and file.h and the executable 
were in the directory before the project creation.  I've compiled the  file.cpp with -g and -p options with the qcc 
command.  
Momentics run on windows, but files are stored on a linux server. 
You mean file system is mounted from server? It should not be a problem. Can you attach this project (or sample project 
where problem can be reproduced?)

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
> I have created the project with the profile "Standard C++ project" .  3 files file.cpp and file.h and the executable 
were in the directory before the project creation.  I've compiled the  file.cpp with -g and -p options with the qcc 
command.  
> Momentics run on windows, but files are stored on a linux server. 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post14842
> 
Here is a zip file containing the archive of a simple project. the executable is build outside momentics with the 
following command 
"qcc -w9 -fsigned-char -g -p -O -V 3.3.1,gcc_ntoppcbe file.cpp"

I can debug the exec, I can profile it, but when i click on a function I get the error :

Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor does not have a document 
provider

Let me know if you need something else
Thanks for help.
Philippe.

Attachment: Text DL_3.gz 10.13 KB
The path of the file in the project is it the same as path of the file when you compile it? If yes can you try to 
compile it with full name?

qcc -w9 -fsigned-char -g -p -O -V 3.3.1,gcc_ntoppcbe `pwd`/file.cpp

(I cannot reproduce it so far I will look a bit more)

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
> Here is a zip file containing the archive of a simple project. the executable is build outside momentics with the 
following command 
> "qcc -w9 -fsigned-char -g -p -O -V 3.3.1,gcc_ntoppcbe file.cpp"
> 
> I can debug the exec, I can profile it, but when i click on a function I get the error :
> 
> 
> Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Text editor does not have a document 
provider
> 
> 
> 
> Let me know if you need something else
> Thanks for help.
> Philippe.
> 
> 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post14935
Can you also try new IDE 4.5 to see if it is fixed there? You can download it from foundry:
http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.ide/wiki/Whats_New_IDE_Tau

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
> Here is a zip file containing the archive of a simple project. the executable is build outside momentics with the 
following command 
> 
> I can debug the exec, I can profile it, but when i click on a function I get the error :
> 
> 
provider
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks for help.
> Philippe.
> 
> 
> 
Ok, I can only reproduce it with binary you send. I tried all my compilers 2.95.3, 3.3.5 and 4.2.4 compiled exactly as 
you said and it is all good.
Looks like you version adds some weird debug info.
I can't test it but you try to use -gdwarf-2 debug option instead of -g to see it it helps.
If it does not there is one workaround that works for me.
In Launch config, Source tab I remove default source lookup and added Path mapping source lookup
with one entry:
/atelier/tmp/elf/PROJECTS/DL-3 -> /home/myusername/projects/test_profile

test_profile is the project name in the IDE. Looks like you are using linked resources because otherwise path for your 
project should be with directory test_profile not DL-3.

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
following command 
> 
> 
> 
provider
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks for help.
> Philippe.
> 
> 
> 
Hello 
I've tried all the possibilities, without succes. I've recompiled with 3.3.5 release too but it's always the same result
I don't understand the error message "... Text editor does not have a document provider "  what's the document provider 
? 

If I run manually the executable, I get a gmon.out file. Can we analyse this file with the IDE  ? 

Philippe ELSKENS wrote:
> Hello 
> I've tried all the possibilities, without succes. I've recompiled with 3.3.5 release too but it's always the same 
result...
> I don't understand the error message "... Text editor does not have a document provider "  what's the document 
provider ? 
Well what happened is you debug info has harcoded file name such as /a/b/c/file.cpp. Profiler tries to open it.
But this path cannot be found in workspace, because workspace path is (I think, you never told me answer to it) /d/f/
test_profile/file.cpp.
So it is trying to open file that does not belong to workspace and it can't find a way to do it (document provider 
provides content of a file).
This is know issue in eclipse, and it only happened when we try annotate source code (i.e. you can open it in debugger 
because it does not try to annotate editor).
So workaround I gave you should fix your problem (editing source lookup path in launch config). I did trick for me.

I think compiler choice was unrelated to this. It worked for me because when I compiled it I did it exactly in project 
directory and path was matching.

> 
> If I run manually the executable, I get a gmon.out file. Can we analyse this file with the IDE  ? 
Yes. You can check doc about it. Copy this file in your project and refresh project (or import file using import wizard 
from IDE).
Right click on it and it should give you a menu to open it in Application Profiler. File should be called gmon.out.
I don't think it will help you with source lookup tough. I think it would be same problem.

> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post15018
> 
Hello Elena

You're quite right , it works now ! . In fact just the time for me to understand the use of the path mapping 

Thanks again for your help and patience .