Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Java with qnx neutrino 6.3.2: (13 Items)

Java with qnx neutrino 6.3.2  
Hi, with java J9 virtually dead or at a dead end, is there any java jvm available for 6.3.2 ?
Support for swing will be a good thing. By the way does someone knows about kaffe always for 6.3.2?
Re: Java with qnx neutrino 6.3.2  
We have partners such as Apogee Software and MicroDoc that can provided updated support for IBM's J9. Other companies 
such as Aonix  (PERC VM) and Aicas (Jamaica VM) are other possible solutions.
Thank you, but I was looking for something closer to swing.
More, I have to take care that J9 should be considered at best at a "dead end", so not quite good for new projects.
If I am not wrong Jamaica has no graphic support for QNX.
Aonix has something but my target applications are out of budget trying to use their good java.
> Thank you, but I was looking for something closer to swing.
> More, I have to take care that J9 should be considered at best at a "dead end"
> , so not quite good for new projects.
> If I am not wrong Jamaica has no graphic support for QNX.
> Aonix has something but my target applications are out of budget trying to use
>  their good java.

As far as my own research took me, no Swing ;-(

Maybe someone, someday will try to port the sun stuff to QNX.
Thanx, I will wait and see what's going on. Just noting the "java" claims on QNX site maybe is a little be overstimated.

Unfortunately a port for the gnuclasspath at first glance seems impossible (at least to me), due to their dependence on 
many X libraries.
We have swt port (which is eclipse graphics library alternative to swing) if you looking for graphics... Still need vm 
though to run it.
Porting just a vm, like Sun's should be easy.. Still looking for volunteers...

J9 is not that bad, since all code would be in java should be not a problem to switch to a new better one if something 
comes up.

Giovanni Sora wrote:
> Thanx, I will wait and see what's going on. Just noting the "java" claims on QNX site maybe is a little be 
overstimated. 
> Unfortunately a port for the gnuclasspath at first glance seems impossible (at least to me), due to their dependence 
on many X libraries.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QNX Momentics Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post13310
> 
Attachment: Text elaskavaia.vcf 116 bytes
> Porting just a vm, like Sun's should be easy.. Still looking for volunteers...

Please point me in the right direction. Would the stuff in pksrc be the place to look.
Right direction for what? Sources of Open JDK can loaded from Sun website. If somebody would volunteer for porting this 
- we can create a project on community site.
Sources of swt port is not open right now, in binary form it is distributed as part of IDE.

Mario Charest wrote:
>> Porting just a vm, like Sun's should be easy.. Still looking for volunteers...
> 
> Please point me in the right direction. Would the stuff in pksrc be the place to look.
> 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post13574
> 
> Right direction for what? Sources of Open JDK can loaded from Sun website. If  somebody would volunteer for porting 
this - we can create a project on 
> community site.

Most project of this kind, if it takes too long, I get bored and move onto something else.  I do it for fun ;-)  But I'd
 be willing to take a stab at it.

> Sources of swt port is not open right now, in binary form it is distributed as
>  part of IDE.

Nah I am talking about the JVM, first think first.  In fact I'm interested in SWING.

> 
> Mario Charest wrote:
> >> Porting just a vm, like Sun's should be easy.. Still looking for volunteers
> ...
> > 
> > Please point me in the right direction. Would the stuff in pksrc be the 
> place to look.
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > QNX Momentics Community Support
> > http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post13574
> > 

Actually swt photon port available in source form, can be loaded from http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.
eclipse.swt/Eclipse%20SWT%20PI/photon/
(library directory has .c code and org.eclipse.swt.internal.photon java portion of it)

Maybe you can use it as example to do swing port.

Mario Charest wrote:
>> Right direction for what? Sources of Open JDK can loaded from Sun website. If  somebody would volunteer for porting 
this - we can create a project on 
>> community site.
> 
> Most project of this kind, if it takes too long, I get bored and move onto something else.  I do it for fun ;-)  But 
I'd be willing to take a stab at it.
> 
>> Sources of swt port is not open right now, in binary form it is distributed as
>>  part of IDE.
> 
> Nah I am talking about the JVM, first think first.  In fact I'm interested in SWING.
> 
>> Mario Charest wrote:
>>>> Porting just a vm, like Sun's should be easy.. Still looking for volunteers
>> ...
>>> Please point me in the right direction. Would the stuff in pksrc be the 
>> place to look.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> QNX Momentics Community Support
>>> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post13574
>>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post13576
> 
Hi Elena,
Thanks a lot for this link but I'm not absolutely sure about what to do with all these files.
Do you know about some documentation to understand how to get it working??

regards,
What you trying to get working? You trying to port java to qnx?
Porting a JVM from sun is of course a too big task for me (and for many people around I think, looking at the low speed 
of the OpenJDK project). Now I am looking around for the best tool (affordable price should be a nice thing). 
All the people I spoke to, just sent me to the same names (Apogee,Aonix,Jamaica etc.). For the most they are not based 
on swing (this is what I understood or what they said to me).
Downgrading or migrating to SWT from swing is not a task you can make in a snap (of course there are open projects - 
SwingSwt and SWTSwing - that started this work and I will be going to look at them ) especially if you need a not 
academic work, but a work you have to use to make running machineries.