Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Pin QNX Momentics IDE 5.0 to (Windows 7) taskbar: (7 Items)

Pin QNX Momentics IDE 5.0 to (Windows 7) taskbar  
Normally I pin common programs to the task bar by going into Start Menu -> Programs -> whatever, and dragging the 
program to the taskbar.  A little tooltip pops up saying I am about to "Pin to taskbar".

However, when I do this with the QNX Momentics 5.0, it asks me if I want to pin to wscript.exe.  I click yes, and then 
something gets pinned there.

When clicking it, "Windows Script Host Settings" starts.  No doubt this is wscript.exe.  Whatever it is, it's not QNX 
Momentics 5.0.

No doubt it's a clever (I guess...) way to start Momentics, but Windows is too stupid to just drag-link it.  I've tried 
other things (right-click under Start menu provides no "Pin it" options, unlike everything else, and if it did, I'll bet
 it would do the wrong thing anyway).  Making a link on the desktop, when dragged onto the taskbar, yields the original 
poor results.

Any ideas?
Re: Pin QNX Momentics IDE 5.0 to (Windows 7) taskbar  
This is a mailing list, not a BBS?
Hi,

a short look on the startup link properties shows you why. (Well, I wonder how you managed to pin QDE 5.0 to the taskbar
. On my PC, Windows doesn't even show the context menu entries.) It is possible however with QDE 4.7 for the simple 
reason that the startup menu links to qde.exe directly, while the QDE 5.0 link goes to run-qde.vbs, which in turn starts
 run-qde.bat, which sets a bunch of environment variables before starting qde.exe. This is in fact great for users like 
me who run different environments and Eclipses on their PCs. Before 5.0, I used an own startup wrapper for years.

Of course, you could have found all this in the documentation. Didn't you ever stumble upon the quickstart guide? 
(Chapter 5, "Creating a program project", <http://www.qnx.com/download/download/26166/A_Quickstart_Guide.pdf>;)

HTH
Christoph
I just wanted to drag-and-drop the icon from the start menu to the task bar, like I do for every other single program in
 existence, and have it work logically and intuitively.

Windows also appears to have difficulties promoting it to the "commonly-used" area at the top of the start menu.

I'll leave it as a Windows bug rather than a QNX Momentics one.  I was just hoping someone had realized this was an 
issue and solved it already.
Hey, QNX employees!  If anyone reads this, here's a great way to get a bonus this year!

I notice it takes me about 7 extra seconds to go into the Start Menu, then to QNX Momentics, then start Momentics, than 
it does to click it on the task bar (which, as mentioned, I cannot do currently.)

So at 7 seconds per day, times 260 days a year, times thousands of people who use QNX, you're looking at saving 
corporate customers tens of thousands of dollars a year by making your release installs' startup link draggable onto the
 task bar.

So do that for the next release, and claim you saved customers $30,000.
A common complaint in earlier releases was that the product required Administrator privilege to install.  This privilege
 was required solely for the ability to update the system environment.  The solution was to move to the more common 
industry practice of leaving the system environment as-is and use a shortcut that sets the appropriate variables locally
.  The VBS script is there only as a quick-trick to hide the ugly DOS box that you would normally get when running a 
batch script.

To save yourself the time of digging through the start menu, there are two solutions.

1)  Pin the VBS script, as you have already done.  Once you have it pinned to your quick launch you can right click on 
it and choose the run-qde script.  I know the icon is hideous but you'll have to complain to MS about that.
2)  Add the variables defined in the run-qde.bat script to your default system environment and create a normal shortcut 
to launch qde.exe directly.  Then pin that shortcut.
Ok, if I enable "Links" toolbar, then this functions for both putting a text document and the QNX Momentics starter, 
just as it used to in Windows XP.

[.gif of George Baily tearing through Bedford Falls screaming "Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!   Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"]