Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Porting Linux .a libraries: (6 Items)

Porting Linux .a libraries  
Hello,

I am currently working with libraries created in linux (.a) with gnet and glib included in them. The .a files are not 
functioning properly when I proceed to compile a QNX C project. I read some where that linux compiled libraries may not 
work under QNX. I am wondering on how to port the .a libraries to QNX. Is the easiest solution to take the source to a 
target QNX and recompile the library in the target and bring it back to linux host to use in Momentics?

Thanks for the help.

JP 
Re: Porting Linux .a libraries  
they won't work, it is like running windows .exe files on linux. They have to recompile them, and they may not even 
compile because they may use Linux API's.

On 19/08/10 02:10 PM, Jay Patel wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am currently working with libraries created in linux (.a) with gnet and glib included in them. The .a files are not 
functioning properly when I proceed to compile a QNX C project. I read some where that linux compiled libraries may not 
work under QNX. I am wondering on how to port the .a libraries to QNX. Is the easiest solution to take the source to a 
target QNX and recompile the library in the target and bring it back to linux host to use in Momentics?
> 
> Thanks for the help.
> 
> JP 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> QNX Momentics Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post63609
> 
Is there any gnet and glib equivalent in QNX. The libraries I am trying to port over use functions of gnet for example 
gnet_server_new and gnet_server_delete.

Thanks for the quick reply!

JP
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 02:18:43PM -0400, Jay Patel wrote:
> Is there any gnet and glib equivalent in QNX. The libraries I am trying to port over use functions of gnet for example
 gnet_server_new and gnet_server_delete.
> 
> Thanks for the quick reply!
> 

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.5.0_head_20100424/All/glib-1.2.10nb10.tgz
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.5.0_head_20100424/All/glib2-2.22.5nb1.tgz
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.5.0_head_20100424/All/gnet-2.0.8.tgz

Check out the pkgsrc project:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/projects/pkgsrc

-seanb
I have a target system with QNX on it. I used pkg_add to install those libraries and then pointed the qcc compiler to -I
 /usr/pkg/include/gnet-2.0. The compiler returned massive list of errors in the gnet.h. That was surprising my code was 
only a hello world program. May be I am approaching this in the wrong way. 

Should I be compiling the library in Momentics under a Linux host or on a target system using the terminal?
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 02:27:48PM -0400, Jay Patel wrote:
> I have a target system with QNX on it. I used pkg_add to install those libraries and then pointed the qcc compiler to 
-I /usr/pkg/include/gnet-2.0. The compiler returned massive list of errors in the gnet.h. That was surprising my code 
was only a hello world program. May be I am approaching this in the wrong way. 
> 
> Should I be compiling the library in Momentics under a Linux host or on a target system using the terminal?
> 

The library seems to be usable.  gsnmp for example used it
and it built.  It shouldn't matter if you build self
hosted or on linux if you're using the qnx tools.  If you're
using pkgsrc on top of those you probably want to be self
hosted.

Regards,

-seanb