Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Download image via TFTP on 6.4.1 not working: (4 Items)

Download image via TFTP on 6.4.1 not working  
So I am using 4.6 SDP (QNX 6.4.1) installed on Windows XP has host. The TFTP server is running in the view. I have 
created my .ifs image file which resides at:
C:\ide-4.6-workspace\myproject\Images
directory

My x86 target board supports booting from Ethernet using Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 Bootrom that supports PXE/RPL TFTP boot.

In the IDE user guide under 'Downloading via TFTP' section in Chapter 6,  it says "configure your target to request a 
file recognized by the TFTP server". I am not sure how to configure my target device to do that. All my target device 
does (when set to boot from ethernet) is to look up a DHCP server so that it can be assigned an IP address and then TFTP
 server (on Host) usually provides the file (binary/image file) to be downloaded on the target device.

Here are my questions:
1. With my current target board capability can I use the TFTP download feature of the QNX IDE?

2. If yes, then what am I missing in my current setup?

3. Can I use serial port to transfer the image file in this case?

Thanks
Re: Download image via TFTP on 6.4.1 not working  
You should be able to use TFTP to download your IFS file. Here are few things that you can do before running your TFTP 
load command:

* Make sure you can ping your target from ur Windows PC. I have seen cases when the target had IP assigned but TFTP 
server could not be reached. Starting a ping somehow makes sure this connection works
* In the QNX IDE, go the TFTP Preferences and in the "TFTP Server Search Path", give the directory which contains ur IFS
 file.
* Ensure "User Search Path" is selected for your TFTP server.

The serial port can also be used to transfer images but this generally is very slow when compared to transfers over 
ethernet. On my targets, ethernet transfers take about 1-2 secs but a transfer over serial port takes about a minute.

Hope this helps

Sunil
Sunil, thanks for the response. Couple of questions regarding your setup?

1. In your TFTP download setup did you end up using pxqldr (PXE QNX loader)?
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/projects.bazaar/frs.pxqldr

2. Also did you normally boot your target with the Ethernet boot rom that supports PXE?

The problem with my setup is that the TFTP server of Momentics does not assign anything to the target. My boot rom 
supports PXE version 2.0.

Also does any one know what is the difference between the pxqldr and the Momentics TFTP server method?

I am sorry, I dont know much about PXE and I do not use it in my setup.