Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail elfxx-mips.c: (3 Items)

BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail elfxx-mips.c  
Hello,

I am getting a problem when I execute ntomips-strip in my makefile. An assertion fail message is printed number of times
 (may be close to 100 times). After printing these assertion fail message a number of times, the make utility simple 
continues and creates the final executable. Here is the complete assertion fail message:

BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail /home/builder/hudson/binutils-trunk/svn/win32-x86-o-ntomips/../bfd/elfxx-
mips.c:6051
BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail /home/builder/hudson/binutils-trunk/svn/win32-x86-o-ntomips/../bfd/elfxx-
# repeating number of times

Can anybody tell me what is happening here and how I could avoid seeing these messages everytime I make a build?

Thanks
Sunil Keshava
Re: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail elfxx-mips.c  
Sunil Keshava wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am getting a problem when I execute ntomips-strip in my makefile. An assertion fail message is printed number of 
times (may be close to 100 times). After printing these assertion fail message a number of times, the make utility 
simple continues and creates the final executable. Here is the complete assertion fail message:
> 
> BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail /home/builder/hudson/binutils-trunk/svn/win32-x86-o-ntomips/../bfd/elfxx
-mips.c:6051
> BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail /home/builder/hudson/binutils-trunk/svn/win32-x86-o-ntomips/../bfd/elfxx
> ...
> ... 
> # repeating number of times
> ...
> ...
> 
> Can anybody tell me what is happening here and how I could avoid seeing these messages everytime I make a build?

Strip is encountering special SHN_MIPS_DATA symbols which are not 
supposed to be present in traditional MIPS BFD targets. Is everything 
you are linking in linked by the 2.19.1 linker, or is it possible you 
are linking against a library that was generated by the 6.3.2 toolchain.

Is it possible for you to create a test case for me to look at?

Regards,

Ryan Mansfield
Re: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 assertion fail elfxx-mips.c  
Ryan,

You were right, the assertion message were coming when certain lib files in a folder were being stripped. I ran the 
makefile with just one lib file at a time and found that there was a libc.so.2 file in that folder. This file is not 
part of QNX 6.4.1 but it was part of QNX 6.2.1 (the version on which my project was earlier built). Once removed libc.so
.2 the assertion fail messages vanished.

Thank you very much for the information!

Regards
Sunil