Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX won't boot up: (2 Items)

QNX won't boot up  
Hi,

I'm trying to install QNX on an older Dell Optiplex off the CD.  I'm able to successfully make it through the 
installation process, getting to the "Congratiulations!" screen, but then when I try to boot off the hard drive where 
it's been installed, I get nothing.  Specifically, after the Dell boot screen I get 'hit Esc for .altboot', the periods 
that extend across the screen (........), and then just a black screen.  

There is nothing else on that drive except a partition that came with it (utilities I think), and I was able to 
successfully install Ubuntu 10.04 to the drive.  Does anybody know what's going on?  The only other possibly relevant 
thing I can think of is that the key I got may be to a slightly different version.  The original CD I burned disappeared
 after I gave it to our IT guy so I downloaded a new image, about 3mo later.  Thanks--

Best,
Matt
Re: QNX won't boot up  
  I have installed QNX 4.25 on many Dells and only had a problem with some of the  the Dell precision models but it may 
be the same with the optiplex machines.
 The bootloader didn't initiate so I ended up putting the disk in as a slave in another machine and running dinit -h -b 
-O on that drive. The -b option only installs the boot loader and the -O installs the old style boot loader. The one 
that is used by the CD for the install. It will look a little different as it boots but will then boot ok.

hope it helps