Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Installing QNX 4.25 on DMA CompactFlash: (3 Items)

Installing QNX 4.25 on DMA CompactFlash  
I'm trying to install QNX 4.25 on a 1GB Compact Flash Smart Modular DMA (http://www.smartmodular.com/binary/techds/
SG9CFxxxHYAxrB.pdf) with the Portwell ROBO-8713VGA.
However, for unknown reasons, QNX is unable to detect the Compact Flash card.

I used the last CD of QNX Product Suite (November 2009).

I tried two kinds of compact Flash.  The first one, a DMA CF,  is not detected by the QNX os installer (Fsys.atapi). The
 second one, a PIO CF, is well detected.

Unfortunately, it is required to boot from the DMA CF.

My question, does the Fsys.atapi can detect a DMA CF?  If not, how can I force the QNX instaler to use Fsys.eide instead
 of Fsys.atapi?

Omer
Re: Installing QNX 4.25 on DMA CompactFlash  
Ok,

According to technical specifications, the new CF supports up to PIO 4 and DMA 2 modes, while old CF only supports PIO 
mode.

Furthermore, as I suspected, Fsys.atapi did not recognize the new CompactFlash card when DMA mode is enabled in BIOS nor
 even when it is disabled, but recognized the old PIO CompactFlash card.

Moreover, the PC boots from the QNX4 CD, but QNX Installer doesn't recognized the CD drive itself during the Hardware 
Auto-Detecting process. How does it happen?

So, I finally installed QNX on a real hard disk and used it to start Fsys.eide which allowed me to mount the new CF card
.  I manually installed QNX from the HD, since the QNX Installer from the CD doesn't allow me to use Fsys.eide.

Can someone explain this behavior?
Re: Installing QNX 4.25 on DMA CompactFlash  
Omer, it sounds like you and I ran into different iterations of the same problem.  I posted about my issues in post50497
.  In my case, it turned out that the flash controller itself was getting hung up on the PIO4/UDMA2.  The workaround I 
used was to force the BIOS into 'User' mode, and disable UDMA, and force it to PIO2.  I was then able to boot off the 
flash without a problem.  The flash specification dictates that all flash be backward compatible to previous UDMA/PIO 
modes, so throttling it back shouldn't be a problem.

You may want to try the same thing to see if you can then install/boot off the card.

-Nathan