Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - syslog() function cannot log the message over 200 bytes???: (6 Items)

syslog() function cannot log the message over 200 bytes???  
Hi all,

I am using syslog() function to log a debugging/info/warning message in /var/log/message.

However, I realize that it chop the message if it is over 200 bytes. Is there a length of the message I can set?

Thanks in advance..
Re: syslog() function cannot log the message over 200 bytes???  
I've looked at the source code, and it seems that 200 bytes is a hard-coded limit.

> Hi all,
> 
> I am using syslog() function to log a debugging/info/warning message in /var/
> log/message.
> 
> However, I realize that it chop the message if it is over 200 bytes. Is there 
> a length of the message I can set?
> 
> Thanks in advance..

Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying.

It is possible to change the size of the length. Where I can find the source code.

BTW, do you have an idea how fast the syslogd can handle writing logs. right now, I am writing debugging message in 
200Hz rate. it seems it is always stop writing for 30 seconds and then start writing again.

Is there a limitation on the logging frequency?

Thanks 
Our source for syslog() is from NetBSD, with some customization. I don't think we make the source available.

I don't know about the limits on logging frequency, so let's hope someone else chimes in.
I see.

Is syslog-ng available for qnx 6.4 or higher?

Thank you again.

> Our source for syslog() is from NetBSD, with some customization. I don't think
>  we make the source available.
> 
> I don't know about the limits on logging frequency, so let's hope someone else
>  chimes in.

Picking this up a few years later --

I just hit this today, was building up a logging framework on syslog then nearly fainted when I saw that the message 
length was 200 bytes and apparently not configurable (stupid me for thinking that messages could surely be at least 1024
 bytes long).

Is there any way to get either a) source to this, or b) someone to update so that we can have a usable logging system? 
200 bytes is barely enough to say "hello" in some of our domain work. Or, alternatively, has anyone used any other 
alternative daemon?