Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 6.5.0 SP1: pci-bios-v2 is not starting whenever a PCI card is plugged in: (8 Items)

QNX 6.5.0 SP1: pci-bios-v2 is not starting whenever a PCI card is plugged in  
I'm expieriencing some troubles while getting a PC hardware to run under QNX 6.5.0 SP1 (latest available patches 
applied):

Whenever I insert a PCI card, the pci-server is not started ("Unable to access "/dev/pci" (2)") and I cannot find the 
reason for this.
It does not matter, what kind of PCI card I insert (I tried several different cards: network, graphics, gpio) - the 
result is always the same.

The hardware is an Intel Haswell Core i7-4650U with 8GB of RAM and PCI express Slots, where I use an adapter for PCI 
cards. (As far as I know, the controllers are PEX8112 (PCI-to-PCIe bridge) and PI7C9X20404 (PCIe switch))

The PC is booted with 'startup-apic' and 'pci-bios-v2' (see the attached .zip file for the boot script)
(MSI (pci-bios -M) are switched off, since message signalled interrupts are not supported by our software, but starting 
with MSI enabled also fails)

In the attached .zip file, there are some log files with the output of the boot process (startup-apic and sloginfo) 
logged via serial console. (the file names should be self-explaining)

In the 'boot_with__no_pci-card' logfile, You can also find the output of the 'pci' command, if this is of interest.

Is there something missing in the boot script or is there some unsupported hardware?
Any hints by someone would be very helpful.

Thank You in advance - with best regards,
Michael.
Attachment: Compressed file 2018-06-21.zip 27.18 KB
Re: QNX 6.5.0 SP1: pci-bios-v2 is not starting whenever a PCI card is plugged in  
Please can you modify your build file and add "dumper -d/tmp" before "seedres" in your build file. Reboot the system 
with a PCI adapter installed and post the resulting .core file from the /tmp directory, together with the pci-bios-v2 
that you are using and the libc.so.3. Also please post the output from "sloginfo".
Also, please boot your system without a PCI adapter installed and post the resulting output from sloginfo, together with
 the "pci -vvv" output.

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2018-07-10, 6:43 AM, "Michael Kurt" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

I'm expieriencing some troubles while getting a PC hardware to run under QNX 6.5.0 SP1 (latest available patches 
applied):

Whenever I insert a PCI card, the pci-server is not started ("Unable to access "/dev/pci" (2)") and I cannot find 
the reason for this.
    It does not matter, what kind of PCI card I insert (I tried several different cards: network, graphics, gpio) - the 
result is always the same.

The hardware is an Intel Haswell Core i7-4650U with 8GB of RAM and PCI express Slots, where I use an adapter for PCI
 cards. (As far as I know, the controllers are PEX8112 (PCI-to-PCIe bridge) and PI7C9X20404 (PCIe switch))

The PC is booted with 'startup-apic' and 'pci-bios-v2' (see the attached .zip file for the boot script)
    (MSI (pci-bios -M) are switched off, since message signalled interrupts are not supported by our software, but 
starting with MSI enabled also fails)

In the attached .zip file, there are some log files with the output of the boot process (startup-apic and sloginfo) 
logged via serial console. (the file names should be self-explaining)

In the 'boot_with__no_pci-card' logfile, You can also find the output of the 'pci' command, if this is of interest.

Is there something missing in the boot script or is there some unsupported hardware?
    Any hints by someone would be very helpful.

Thank You in advance - with best regards,
    Michael.

General
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118929
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: QNX 6.5.0 SP1: pci-bios-v2 is not starting whenever a PCI card is plugged in  
I modified the build file as suggested and, additionally, increased the RAM disk size to 1GB in order to ensure enough 
space for the dumpfiles under /tmp.
Unfortunately, there are no dumpfiles produced, at all (also, no messages from 'dumper -v -d/tmp').
Nevertheless, I attached all other information here, hoping it shows something useful.

With best regards,
Michael.

> Please can you modify your build file and add "dumper -d/tmp" before "seedres"
>  in your build file. Reboot the system with a PCI adapter installed and post 
> the resulting .core file from the /tmp directory, together with the pci-bios-
> v2 that you are using and the libc.so.3. Also please post the output from "
> sloginfo".
> Also, please boot your system without a PCI adapter installed and post the 
> resulting output from sloginfo, together with the "pci -vvv" output.
> 
> Thanks, Hugh.
Attachment: Compressed file 2018-07-11_091135.zip 290.62 KB
I'll have to take a look at this as soon as I get a chance.

On 2018-07-11, 3:46 AM, "Michael Kurt" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

I modified the build file as suggested and, additionally, increased the RAM disk size to 1GB in order to ensure 
enough space for the dumpfiles under /tmp.
    Unfortunately, there are no dumpfiles produced, at all (also, no messages from 'dumper -v -d/tmp').
    Nevertheless, I attached all other information here, hoping it shows something useful.

With best regards,
    Michael.

> Please can you modify your build file and add "dumper -d/tmp" before "seedres"
    > sloginfo".
    > 
    > Thanks, Hugh.

General
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118934
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

This is going to require major development work on the 6.5.0 PCI server, so please will you contact your QNX sales 
representative to arrange for this.

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2018-07-11, 3:46 AM, "Michael Kurt" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

I modified the build file as suggested and, additionally, increased the RAM disk size to 1GB in order to ensure 
enough space for the dumpfiles under /tmp.

With best regards,
    Michael.

> sloginfo".
    > 
    > Thanks, Hugh.

General
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118934

OK, I will do that.

Thank You, Michael.

> This is going to require major development work on the 6.5.0 PCI server, so 
> please will you contact your QNX sales representative to arrange for this.
> 
> Thanks, Hugh.
Now, after contacting our QNX sales representative and receiving your offer, I at first need to evaluate other options. 
That's why one more question: Would an upgrade to a newer QNX version solve the problem? Is that already fixed in newer 
QNX versions?

Thank You - with best regards,
Michael.
There is a new PCI server in QNX SDP7, which might solve your problem.

On 2018-07-13, 5:23 AM, "Michael Kurt" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Now, after contacting our QNX sales representative and receiving your offer, I at first need to evaluate other 
options. That's why one more question: Would an upgrade to a newer QNX version solve the problem? Is that already fixed 
in newer QNX versions?

Thank You - with best regards,
    Michael.

General
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118953