Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX on ruggedized laptop?: (3 Items)

QNX on ruggedized laptop?  
Is anyone running (has run) QNX on a ruggedized laptop?  If so, would you mind sharing your experience?  Help is much 
appreciated!
Re: QNX on ruggedized laptop?  
Hi,

As QNX is an Embedded OS, it's not very likely that you can just run it on a laptop or desktop PC. You would need to 
find a model that features hardware components that are part of the Embedded portfolio of the chip vendors (e.g. Intel) 
to increase the chances of having matching drivers on the QNX side.

In case drivers are missing, you could obtain a CSP (Custom Services Plan) contract with QNX, which would enable you to 
have QNX R&D develop the drivers for your chosen hardware. However, this might be a major effort. Alternatively, you 
could try and run Windows or Linux on your chosen laptop, and then run QNX in a virtual machine. Of course this severely
 limits real time capabilities and means somewhat decreased performance, but if it is sufficient for your needs, why not
!

Cheers,

- Malte
Re: QNX on ruggedized laptop?  
Thanks for the reply Malte.  

This is an industrial control type application so I'm looking for the deterministic behavior of an embedded OS but would
 like to use the handy form factor of a laptop for the control application.  Running in a virtual machine wouldn't 
really work for me.  I still need to look at ruggedized laptops and see what's out there that QNX might run on.  I was 
just hoping someone might have already had some experience with one.

Lynn