Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - A fast web server in 6.5: (9 Items)

A fast web server in 6.5  
Hi:

In 6.4 we have a quick boot image that we use for customer demos. On most processors it boots to a web page in a few 
second. It uses voyager.

With the move to 6.5 we have lost voyager. The replacement mozserver/Mozilla/bon echo browser adds at least 10 seconds 
to the time to display. Often this is 3 times longer than the 6.4 version.  

My questions are:
Ive tried to run voyager in 6.5 with no success. How can i get voyager to run in 6.5?

and
Does 6.5 have a fast web display option?

Thanks,
Andy
Post Deleted
RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Don't mean to rub it in but, with the next release of QNX (6.6 ?) Photon is gone so will Mozilla I assume.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Max Feil [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:33 PM
À : general-community
Objet : RE: A fast web server in 6.5

Unfortunately Mozilla is the only Photon web browsing server available in 6.5. I didn't try to run a copied version of 
VoyagerServer in 6.5, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work. 

Do you have an appropriate entry in /etc/photon/webservers for it? Can you give more details on what happens when you 
try to run it? Are there any error messages?

You can try running the voyager server manually from the command line in order to see any error messages. Use the same 
command as shown in /etc/photon/webservers. If the server starts ok, look for more error messages after you start the 
Photon app that contains the Voyager client code.

Max

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 8:19 PM
To: general-community
Subject: A fast web server in 6.5

Hi:

In 6.4 we have a quick boot image that we use for customer demos. On most processors it boots to a web page in a few 
second. It uses voyager.

With the move to 6.5 we have lost voyager. The replacement mozserver/Mozilla/bon echo browser adds at least 10 seconds 

My questions are:
Ive tried to run voyager in 6.5 with no success. How can i get voyager to run in 6.5?

and

Thanks,
Andy

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97739
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97847
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Yes, the QNX Port of Mozilla requires Photon. The port uses an old Mozilla source base (equivalent to Firefox 2.0) and 
has not been enhanced in a long time.

I don't know what will be released with the next QNX SDP, but if the QNX CAR 2 work is leveraged then users will get a 
much more modern WebKit based browser, with essentially the same guts as is in the BlackBerry PlayBook browser and 
BlackBerry 10 browser.

I'm just saying "if". I don't really know...
Max

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:27 PM
To: general-community@community.qnx.com
Subject: RE: A fast web server in 6.5

Don't mean to rub it in but, with the next release of QNX (6.6 ?) Photon is gone so will Mozilla I assume.

De : Max Feil [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
Envoyé : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:33 PM À : general-community Objet : RE: A fast web server in 6.5

Unfortunately Mozilla is the only Photon web browsing server available in 6.5. I didn't try to run a copied version of 

Do you have an appropriate entry in /etc/photon/webservers for it? Can you give more details on what happens when you 

You can try running the voyager server manually from the command line in order to see any error messages. Use the same 
command as shown in /etc/photon/webservers. If the server starts ok, look for more error messages after you start the 

Max

Hi:

second. It uses voyager.

My questions are:

and

Thanks,
Andy

General

General

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97848
Re: A fast web server in 6.5  
Firefox 14 runs on at least one qnx 6.5+ machine in the world under X. YMMV.

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless network.

Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:44 PM
Reply To: general-community@community.qnx.com

Yes, the QNX Port of Mozilla requires Photon. The port uses an old Mozilla source base (equivalent to Firefox 2.0) and 
has not been enhanced in a long time.

I don't know what will be released with the next QNX SDP, but if the QNX CAR 2 work is leveraged then users will get a 
much more modern WebKit based browser, with essentially the same guts as is in the BlackBerry PlayBook browser and 
BlackBerry 10 browser.

I'm just saying "if". I don't really know...
Max

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:27 PM

De : Max Feil [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
Envoyé : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:33 PM À : general-community Objet : RE: A fast web server in 6.5

Max

Hi:

second. It uses voyager.

My questions are:

and

Thanks,
Andy

General

General

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97848

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97849
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime8024 5.07 KB
Re: RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Max:

Your reply and Mario's point both go directly to the question... What is the path for web/browsers and servers?

Are there going to be solutions for fast startup and low footprint ? These are important, especially in an embedded 
system. If WebKit is where we are all destined to go then is it designed to be fast? should I revise my demo to not use 
a browser?

Thanks,
Andy
RE: RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Is WebKit designed to be fast? That's not a straightforward question because it depends highly on the number of features
 you want and the specs of the embedded system you are running it on. All I can say is yes, for the level of world class
 features it can deliver it does so with a very competitive performance level.

Unfortunately this means that a WebKit browser built with all the bells and whistles enabled will suck the resources of 
a small embedded system totally dry, and then some. The approach for BlackBerry 10 (and for the most part BlackBerry 
PlayBook before it) has been to enable every possible feature. As a result, the Browser relies on 1GHz+ multi-processing
 and can easily exceed 250 MB of ram, or more if multiple user tabs are allowed. Low memory handling (automatically 
closing tabs, etc) is a must even on the latest 2GB BB10 systems. 

For systems with lower performance it's possible to build WebKit with many features disabled. Voyager can be thought of 
as the most primitive web browser possible, and it cannot be relied on to browse even relatively simple modern web pages
 like google.com. A demo showing Voyager's startup time is not realistic when talking about browsing the web at large, 
because Voyager can't do that. It hasn't been able to do that for many years. Stripped to a similar level with almost 
every possible feature disabled, WebKit may perform well on small systems. But is that what you really want? The nature 
of the internet today is such that a full featured browser is necessary. Letting a user type in any URL they want is a 
big claim to live up to. It requires a major piece of software to get even close.

As you hinted it's probably time to take the web browser out of the boot demo. A lighter application will give a better 
indication of the capabilities of the OS to become available, and not mislead anybody into thinking that full web 
browsing is something easily tacked on to any embedded system.

Max

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: RE: A fast web server in 6.5

Max:

Your reply and Mario's point both go directly to the question... What is the path for web/browsers and servers?

Are there going to be solutions for fast startup and low footprint ? These are important, especially in an embedded 
system. If WebKit is where we are all destined to go then is it designed to be fast? should I revise my demo to not use 
a browser?

Thanks,
Andy

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97885
Re: RE: RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Max:

I fully agree with you, todays internet is a place full of bells and whistles that are way beyond Voyager. Todays 
internet is also a very dangerous place, I'd even be wary letting Webkit  out into the internet.   With the increasing 
number of attacks aimed at browsers via java and a host of libraries,  just maintaining security updates makes internet 
web access, not something to considered  lightly.

The intention was not to use Voyager to browse the internet, but to use it for static Welcome pages, the offline QNX 
docs/help and also for browsing a copy of the offline catalogs of business partners. 

If WebKit is as flexible and fast as you make it sound then - bring it on - and quickly.

Thanks,
Andy
Re: RE: A fast web server in 6.5  
Max:

This solved my immediate problem. Thank you. 

All I had to do was copy the vserver* and voyager files. Edit your webserver file. Then changed the background from 
black to white and it works.

While initially testing in a vm (sorry) I get from 2 to 3 seconds from start to display - which is adequate. 

For the short  to imtermediate term I'll be able to demonstrate QNX quick booting. What about the long term? What 
startup times can I look forward to from Qt and its server or HTML5?

Thanks,
Andy