Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - PCI parallel port card, but no BIOS for LPT: (2 Items)

PCI parallel port card, but no BIOS for LPT  
Hi,

I am developing a small photon application on a Dell Vostro 200 desktop system. The computer has no parallel port or 
serial port. I bought a PCI parallel port card and installed it in my machine, but now from my reading some of the 
documentation is the QNX device driver gets its information from the BIOS. There is no parallel port settings in the 
BIOS. 

First, am I understanding this correctly? Second, how can I get around this? I need to use a parallel port for this 
application.

Thanks,

Frank
Re: PCI parallel port card, but no BIOS for LPT  
Refer to the documentation of "devc-par". In particular, the "-p" option might be helpful:

---

-p address 

Base I/O address of the parallel port. The I/O port address may be specified in hexadecimal form (e.g. 0x140) or octal 
form (e.g. 0140) as well as in decimal. Don't use this option with the -b option. 

---

The last sentence, referring to the "-b" option, is interesting because the "-b" option is about BIOS information. I'd 
say this means that "-p" is for "without BIOS", which is what you need.

HTH,

- Malte

> Hi,
> 
> I am developing a small photon application on a Dell Vostro 200 desktop system
> . The computer has no parallel port or serial port. I bought a PCI parallel 
> port card and installed it in my machine, but now from my reading some of the 
> documentation is the QNX device driver gets its information from the BIOS. 
> There is no parallel port settings in the BIOS. 
> 
> First, am I understanding this correctly? Second, how can I get around this? I
>  need to use a parallel port for this application.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Frank