Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Database future in QNX: (9 Items)

Database future in QNX  
Hi there,

I work for an important industrial company and we've been using QNX from almost always. We're jumping since earliest 
versions to this days. We are considering to continue using QNX to control our production lines. There is no decision 
yet in another sense, but we have some question mark: 

Which is the best database option to manage large amount of data? (embedded systems  isn't our work!). We made this same
 question to QNX support some years ago, and the response was concise "Empress". The result were not good enough, we 
started to make some tests with MySQL. 10 years later MySQL is our standard in every project (we use it under GPL 
license modality). 

Maybe this is a question to be also posted in a MySQL forum, or other supported database engines.

Thanks!
JM
Re: Database future in QNX  
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:12:45PM -0400, Juan Manuel Placco wrote:
> Hi there,
> 
> I work for an important industrial company and we've been using QNX from almost always. We're jumping since earliest 
versions to this days. We are considering to continue using QNX to control our production lines. There is no decision 
yet in another sense, but we have some question mark: 
> 
> Which is the best database option to manage large amount of data? (embedded systems  isn't our work!). We made this 
same question to QNX support some years ago, and the response was concise "Empress". The result were not good enough, we
 started to make some tests with MySQL. 10 years later MySQL is our standard in every project (we use it under GPL 
license modality). 
> 
> Maybe this is a question to be also posted in a MySQL forum, or other supported database engines.
> 
> Thanks!
> JM

You can get mysql, client and server, here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.4.1_head_20090724/All

Check out the pkgsrc project:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/projects/pkgsrc

Regards,

-seanb
Hello Sean,

I couldn´t find the MySQL binary packages in the repository anymore. Why they were removed?

Thanks!

-Rodrigo Madruga
On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:38:46AM -0500, Rodrigo Madruga wrote:
> Hello Sean,
> 
> I couldn´t find the MySQL binary packages in the repository anymore. Why they were removed?

I'm not sure.  This is the first I've heard about it.
Maybe there was a security advisory against it?  See
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/distfiles/vulnerabilities

At any rate you should be able to build your own.

Regards,

-seanb
Yes, that´s right:

End of life vulnerability - EOL(December 31, 2009) ...

Bu I was able to download it from the vulnerable packages folder:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.4.1_head_20090724/vulnerable/

Maybe this link will be helpful for anyone looking for MySQL binaries.

Rodrigo Madruga.

Hi Juan,

To give you good advice we'd need to know a lot more details.  For example:
 - concurrency
 - database size
 - writer frequency, reader frequency
 - ease of use
 - licensing requirements

One option you can consider is our database which we call QDB.  It is an sqlite3 based database and provides a resource 
manager interface so you can use QNET with it.   sqlite3 is a very stable and mature product that I recommend in many 
cases (but maybe not yours depending on needs).   From an embedded point of view it is simple, just a file backend for 
the database so recreating databases is trivial as are other administrative tasks.  This is important in embedded 
because you don't ship a DBA with your product :)   sqlite3's license is public domain and comes with a blessing instead
 of a legal disclaimer..  fairly uncommon in this day and age.

QDB and sqlite3 will ship in 6.4.2.  If you can't wait that long you can get QDB today from our multimedia foundry27 
source code.
Hi JM,

We've been using MySQL in QNX for several years now without any real issues, other than a note to keep an eye on the 
thread priority management.  I will point out that for very large databases, most of the filesystems currently supported
 under QNX have a limit of 2GB per file, so your DBA may have to do some tuning to work around this limitation.  Other 
than that, it's performed very well for us!

-Will
Thanks all for the feedback. 

We've been also using MySQL for years with no real problems. The REAL problem, or thing to keep in mid,  we think, is 
the future of MySQL as Sun was bought by Oracle Corp. What will the future of MySQL and its open source? 

It's near impossible to know that right now, isn't it?