Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - ELF file issues: (5 Items)

ELF file issues  
Just downloaded QNX and trying to understand it. I have a bunch of ELF files. I'm trying to understand if there is any 
way I can open them and see the source code that is stored in them if any. I'm trying to run these processes in the BIN 
folder but I have no idea where to start. Is there a way to see the source code? Maybe dis assembly them or de compile 
them? Do I have to do something with all SO files in the LIB folder?

When I open them up with IDE I got some characters I can read and the format looks good but most of it is gibberish 
characters. 

See attached images of the file I am looking at.

Thank you in advance
Attachment: Image DIRECTORY-2.png 79.74 KB Image DIRECTORY-1.png 194.16 KB
Re: ELF file issues  
ELF files are binary files. There is no source code that stored in them. If you can convert them to assembly using 
readelf utility if you good with assembler code.
There is also ntox86-objdump, assuming they are x86 executable.

Good luck.

In the .TAR file space though its executing some code is it not? I don't want to waste my time trying to sniff through 
assembly language code if its just giving me header information about the ELF file itself. I was told these processes 
located in the .TAR perform an operation. If I use one of these utilities I just want to make sure im looking at the 
application code that is performing the work and not some ELF file header information.

> In the .TAR file space though its executing some code is it not? I don't want 
> to waste my time trying to sniff through assembly language code if its just 
> giving me header information about the ELF file itself. I was told these 
> processes located in the .TAR perform an operation. If I use one of these 
> utilities I just want to make sure im looking at the application code that is 
> performing the work and not some ELF file header information.
> 

I am sorry I cannot help you what you saying does not make any sense. Tar is file archive container it does not execute 
any code. I suggest you talk to your supervisor or colleagues about your issues first.