Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Overlays versus Layers: (5 Items)

Overlays versus Layers  
Could I assume, that I can always target the same hardware scaler, while using overlays and/or layers API ? Is it 
possible that when graphics driver reports, that it has one YUV/RGB overlay supported and simultaneously reports that it
 have two layers, one of them is main display layer and the second one is the same overlay ?

Can I rely on the layers API only while using Photon or standalone GF (since it doesn't have overlays API), if graphics 
driver has overlay support, then this overlay(s) could be always accessed as one of the layers ? Is this true ?
RE: Overlays versus Layers  
If I understand things correctly, in QNX SDP 6.4.0 or newer, an overlay == layer with a particular format, and/or 
capabilities ... internally io-graphics deals straightly with layers, all the 'scaler' operations are interpreted.

Sent: Tue 07/04/2009 9:19 AM
To: photon-graphics
Subject: Overlays versus Layers

Could I assume, that I can always target the same hardware scaler, while using overlays and/or layers API ? Is it 
possible that when graphics driver reports, that it has one YUV/RGB overlay supported and simultaneously reports that it
 have two layers, one of them is main display layer and the second one is the same overlay ?

Can I rely on the layers API only while using Photon or standalone GF (since it doesn't have overlays API), if graphics 
driver has overlay support, then this overlay(s) could be always accessed as one of the layers ? Is this true ?

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 3.55 KB
Re: RE: Overlays versus Layers  
> If I understand things correctly, in QNX SDP 6.4.0 or newer, an overlay == 
> layer with a particular format, and/or capabilities ... internally io-graphics
>  deals straightly with layers, all the 'scaler' operations are interpreted.

So video scaler API in the graphics driver is deprecated too (and is not used anymore) ? This sounds good.
An overlay is just a "layer".  Newer drivers only support the layering interface, older driver may still have the old ‘
scaler’ interface.

You should be able to everything with the layer interface, is something missing?

-Derek
> An overlay is just a "layer".  Newer drivers only support the layering 
> interface, older driver may still have the old ‘scaler’ interface.
> You should be able to everything with the layer interface, is something 
> missing?

Ok, thanks.