Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - using HAM to monitor process on remote node.: (2 Items)

using HAM to monitor process on remote node.  
I am trying to find out if we can HAM-protect a process in one node by the high availability manager (HAM) in the other 

node.  Both the QNX machines are in the same IP network.

Would like to provide further info-

a. I am trying to make my process to self attach to a ham on other node so that i can send heartbeats to it.  I am doing

a ham_connect_node() call to connect to a remote ham.  This step succeeds.

b. Then, I am using ham_self_attach() to attach to the remote HAM but it is getting attached to a local ham.  I believe 

the connection made in step a. should be used in ham_self_attach() and local process should be self attached to remote 
HAM.  But, this is not happening, instead the local process gets attached to the local HAM. Since, /proc/ham/entityname 

gets created in the local filesystem.  No entityname got created in the remote node.

Is it possible to self attach a local process to a remote HAM? If it is possible, how do I self attach a process in one 

node to a ham in other node?
Re: using HAM to monitor process on remote node.  
With the code today, it is not possible to self_attach to a remote HAM. Access to
the remote HAM is to monitor remote entities, not to have oneself monitored
remotely. 

What are you trying to do?

thanks
shiv
Thu Aug  7 13:24:50 EDT 2008

--> According to gani koduri <--
	I am trying to find out if we can HAM-protect a process in one node by the high availability manager (HAM) in the other

node.  Both the QNX machines are in the same IP network.

Would like to provide further info-

a. I am trying to make my process to self attach to a ham on other node so that i can send heartbeats to it.  I am 
doing
	 a ham_connect_node() call to connect to a remote ham.  This step succeeds.

b. Then, I am using ham_self_attach() to attach to the remote HAM but it is getting attached to a local ham.  I believe

the connection made in step a. should be used in ham_self_attach() and local process should be self attached to remote 

HAM.  But, this is not happening, instead the local process gets attached to the local HAM. Since, /proc/ham/entityname

gets created in the local filesystem.  No entityname got created in the remote node.

Is it possible to self attach a local process to a remote HAM? If it is possible, how do I self attach a process in one

node to a ham in other node?

-- 
Shiv Nagarajan,
Kernel Developer, QNX Software Systems,
Ottawa, Canada