Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - gvim in qnx 6.5.0: (13 Items)

gvim in qnx 6.5.0  
I've just started using QNX 6.5 as my development environment.  Prior to this, I was using QNX 6.3.2.

My usual development environment consisted of an X11 server running on my host OS with phinx running in my QNX VM, 
giving me a photon GUI in a window on the host.  In addition, I ran gvim, forwarding to another window on the host.

In QNX 6.5 I have found that, of all the vim- packages, only vim-xaw actually appears to support gvim (vim-gtk, vim-
photon are both compiled with -X11, not +X11?!).

Further, when trying to run gvim (from package vim-xaw), it bails out saying "Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
".  I've tried installing all manner of fonts, x11 and xorg packages from pkgsrc and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix or something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

James
Re: gvim in qnx 6.5.0  
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 01:26:09AM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> I've just started using QNX 6.5 as my development environment.  Prior to this, I was using QNX 6.3.2.
> 
> My usual development environment consisted of an X11 server running on my host OS with phinx running in my QNX VM, 
giving me a photon GUI in a window on the host.  In addition, I ran gvim, forwarding to another window on the host.
> 
> In QNX 6.5 I have found that, of all the vim- packages, only vim-xaw actually appears to support gvim (vim-gtk, vim-
photon are both compiled with -X11, not +X11?!).
> 
> Further, when trying to run gvim (from package vim-xaw), it bails out saying "Warning: Unable to load any usable 
fontset".  I've tried installing all manner of fonts, x11 and xorg packages from pkgsrc and nothing seems to work.
> 
> Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix or something obvious I'm missing?

vim-gtk2 works for me.  Self hosted X.  No photon.

Regards,

-seanb
Sorry, is that vim-gtk, installed with pkgsrc. or did you just build vim from source?

If you built it from source, could you elaborate just a little on the arguments you passed to ./configure, and which 
libraries you had installed?  I have been able to build vim with photon support now, but it doesn't quite fit the bill 
the same way as gvim in X11 did..

Thanks!

James
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:12:25AM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> Sorry, is that vim-gtk, installed with pkgsrc. or did you just build vim from source?
> 
> If you built it from source, could you elaborate just a little on the arguments you passed to ./configure, and which 
libraries you had installed?  I have been able to build vim with photon support now, but it doesn't quite fit the bill 
the same way as gvim in X11 did..
> 

I'm using vim-gtk2.  I built it from source using pkgsrc which takes
care of the pre-requisites.

Regards,

-seanb
RE: gvim in qnx 6.5.0  
Instead of using phinx, have you tried running phindows under WINE? It
works quite well. I assume your host system is some sort of linux that
supports WINE.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:26 AM
To: momentics-community
Subject: gvim in qnx 6.5.0

I've just started using QNX 6.5 as my development environment.  Prior to
this, I was using QNX 6.3.2.

My usual development environment consisted of an X11 server running on
my host OS with phinx running in my QNX VM, giving me a photon GUI in a
window on the host.  In addition, I ran gvim, forwarding to another
window on the host.

In QNX 6.5 I have found that, of all the vim- packages, only vim-xaw
actually appears to support gvim (vim-gtk, vim-photon are both compiled
with -X11, not +X11?!).

Further, when trying to run gvim (from package vim-xaw), it bails out
saying "Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset".  I've tried
installing all manner of fonts, x11 and xorg packages from pkgsrc and
nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix or something obvious
I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

James

QNX Momentics Community Support
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post65827
Re: RE: gvim in qnx 6.5.0  
Actually, my host is OS X.. if I was using Linux, I would probably just install the Linux SDP and cross-compile..

I'm not having much luck with vim-gtk2 using pkgsrc - I installed pkgsrc from the qnx bootstrap, not really sure how to 
configure it to grab packages from source..
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:25:55AM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> Actually, my host is OS X.. if I was using Linux, I would probably just install the Linux SDP and cross-compile..
> 
> I'm not having much luck with vim-gtk2 using pkgsrc - I installed pkgsrc from the qnx bootstrap, not really sure how 
to configure it to grab packages from source..

As long as you have network connectivity you just run 'bmake' which
comes from the bootstrap:

# cd misc/figlet && bmake

The Makefile under each package specifies where to download the
source from.

-seanb
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:25:55AM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> > Actually, my host is OS X.. if I was using Linux, I would probably just 
> install the Linux SDP and cross-compile..
> > 
> > I'm not having much luck with vim-gtk2 using pkgsrc - I installed pkgsrc 
> from the qnx bootstrap, not really sure how to configure it to grab packages 
> from source..
> 
> As long as you have network connectivity you just run 'bmake' which
> comes from the bootstrap:
> 
> # cd misc/figlet && bmake
> 
> The Makefile under each package specifies where to download the
> source from.
> 
> -seanb

pkgsrc is making me feel stupid..  A few issues I've run into
* I don't have e.g. misc/figlet - I don't think the "distfiles" tree comes with the bootstrap.  What is the best way to 
get it if I've used bootstrap?  Or should I just can /usr/pkg and start from scratch with the current pkgsrc sources?

* Aside from the above issue, I tried using bmake in e.g. misc/figlet from the pkgsrc-current sources and it gave me 
some peculiar errors and failed very quickly

* I also tried compiling pkgsrc 2010Q2 sources, this bombed out a little bit after building bmake and the "compat" 
library

In short, I've been very happy with installing binary packages but have had no luck with building anything from source. 
 The documentation for pkgsrc doesn't really help me get very far.  Is there a good post / howto guide somewhere that 
I've missed?

Cheers,

James
On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 07:56:24PM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> 
> pkgsrc is making me feel stupid..  A few issues I've run into
> * I don't have e.g. misc/figlet - I don't think the "distfiles" tree comes with the bootstrap.  What is the best way 
to get it if I've used bootstrap?  Or should I just can /usr/pkg and start from scratch with the current pkgsrc sources?

> 
> * Aside from the above issue, I tried using bmake in e.g. misc/figlet from the pkgsrc-current sources and it gave me 
some peculiar errors and failed very quickly
> 
> * I also tried compiling pkgsrc 2010Q2 sources, this bombed out a little bit after building bmake and the "compat" 
library
> 
> In short, I've been very happy with installing binary packages but have had no luck with building anything from source
.  The documentation for pkgsrc doesn't really help me get very far.  Is there a good post / howto guide somewhere that 
I've missed?

http://community.qnx.com/sf/projects/pkgsrc
http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pkgsrc/wiki/Bootstrap
http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pkgsrc/wiki/BinaryPackages

Regards,

-seanb
So, if I do a fresh install of QNX 6.5.0 (latest SDP image from the QNX website), check out the latest HEAD_650/pkgsrc 
and bootstrap it, that should work?  Because I don't get very far at all (bmake of a GCC 2.95.2 package fails, that's 
the furthest I have gotten).

Or is QNX 6.5.0 / HEAD_650 not really ready for general use?

P.S. I end up symlinking /usr/local/bin/qcc to `which gcc`, otherwise the bootstrap bombs out very, very early (stating 
gcc cannot create executables).  Is this normal?  Is there a cleaner approach?
On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 06:25:10PM -0400, James Fysh wrote:
> So, if I do a fresh install of QNX 6.5.0 (latest SDP image from the QNX website), check out the latest HEAD_650/pkgsrc
 and bootstrap it, that should work?  Because I don't get very far at all (bmake of a GCC 2.95.2 package fails, that's 
the furthest I have gotten).

Yes.  It shouldn't be making gcc 2.95.2.  If it's trying to do that it's
failed already.  This is on a self hosted system right?

> 
> Or is QNX 6.5.0 / HEAD_650 not really ready for general use?

Yes.  

> 
> P.S. I end up symlinking /usr/local/bin/qcc to `which gcc`, otherwise the bootstrap bombs out very, very early 
(stating gcc cannot create executables).  Is this normal?  Is there a cleaner approach?
> 

You shouldn't have to do that.  But there's no /usr/local/bin/qcc in 6.5
AFAIK so something else must be up.

Regards,

-seanb
Ok, with a fresh install it does work.  Once I put my .profile, .kshrc and various qnx630 stuff in the VM (/usr/qnx630, 
630 config in /etc/qnx/qconfig, etc), bmake starts breaking very early, failing to even compile the test c program.

It seems like the 6.5.0 linker is being run, but points to the crt1.lib in the qnx630 host/target directory.  So if I 
have that directory present, it fails a bit later trying to run a 6.3.0 linker, if it's not present then the 6.5.0 
linker fails looking for the 6.3.0 library.

I'm very keen to have 6.3.0 as a build target, at least until our company ports everything to 6.5.0, so I will have to 
figure out what is changing that causes the issue.

Thanks for all the help,

James
I ended up getting it to work with a fresh 6.5 install.  Turns out that dropping /usr/qnx630 on there didn't help much 
and exporting QNX_HOST, QNX_TARGET definitely didn't help at all.

Thanks again,

James