Hi Nick, Sean,

Any Inputs you could give on my queries in last post.

BR
Sajal

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Sajal Malhotra <sajalmalhotra@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your help. Here are my findings after trying your suggestions:
- The arp -an option worked fine. Thankyou for the same :)
- timeout params in resolv.conf did not work(I have attached the resolv.conf we used). 
- However changing "res->retrans" and "res->retry" and res_init() Did work fine. (Please Note: res_ninit does not seem to be supported on our version of QNX OS (v6.3.0). Was getting compilation errors.)

- Also regarding dns activity in FTP and Telnet, we do see still see the same. I have attached the wireshark logs of the time when we just executed a simple ftp command with numeric IP Addresses (ftp 192.168.255.131).  The Telnet and FTP commands get stuck till these pkt transmissions are completed. (Please use "dns" filter in pcap file to see the query pkts that are generated by kernel)

The moment we remove DNS Server IPs from resolv.conf, the issue is not seen. Can you put some light on this as well.

PS: We are using QNX v6.3.0. 

BR
Sajal

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Sean Boudreau <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 09:38:36AM -0500, Sean Boudreau wrote:
>
> For arp, pass the -n switch:
>
> # arp -an
>
> I don't see any dns activity with ftp if numeric addresses are used.
> If a hostname is used, dns is required to resolve it to a numeric
> address.
>
> You can change timeout parameters in resolv.conf:
>
> options timeout:x attempts:y
>
> Or from code:
>
> # include <resolv.h>
>
> struct  __res_state * res = __res_get_state();
>
> res->retrans = x;
> res->retry = y;

res_ninit(res);

>
> getaddrinfo(...);

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post112854
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com