The driver just sends and receives packets. It generally doesn't look at them other than to determine length. Arp, etc is handled above the driver. 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2013 4:48 AM
To: drivers-networking
Reply To: drivers-networking@community.qnx.com
Subject: ARP cache population and relationship with network driver

Hi,

I might be getting a bit confused but here goes anyway....

I understand that the arp cache holds the mapping between an ip address and a mac address. Also that this cache is populated either manually (arp) or by the stack in response to a broadcast arp request.

What I don't have a clear picture of is where the arp request originates and what populates the cache.

With a ping the icmp packet is passed to the driver which passes it to the FEC. At some point a check is made against the ARP table to determine if the MAC address for the ip is available. If not, an ARP request is broadcast to get the ip address which populates the ARP cache etc.

Where does this checking and ARP cache population take place? The driver, the FEC, some where else?

Looking at the source for devnp I can find no reference to the ARP cache. Is it supported?... or have I completely misunderstood this?

Thanks
Simon

Networking Drivers
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post102078
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com