Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 6.6 for VMware system startup: (8 Items)

QNX 6.6 for VMware system startup  
I am experimenting with the QNX 6.6.0 Neutrino
RTOS runtime for VMware Player, installed from theVM-QNXSDP660-201402230339.iso
image (downloaded from here
http://www.qnx.com/download/feature.html?programid=26217). I was trying start sshd automatically on boot, so i created 
the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file with permissions -rwxr-xr-x and  with the following content:

#!/bin/sh

# Start the sshd daemon.
/usr/sbin/sshd

exit 0

When I run the file manually from the terminal, the sshd daemon starts up without any problems. However, the rc.local 
script does not seem to be run automatically on startup. Digging a bit deeper, I found out that rc.local should be 
started by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, which does not seem to be started either. Instead, only /etc/rc.d/startup_aps.sh (or, 
depending on the filesystem imag I select on boot, /etc/rc.d/startup.sh) seems to be run automatically on startup.

I could find no reference in the documentation on startup_aps.sh or startup.sh. Is the behavior I am seeing expected?

Best regards,
damjan
Re: QNX 6.6 for VMware system startup  
Both rc.local and rc.sysinit are vestiges of the system initialization that diskboot used to do. They're no longer used,
 now that we don't support self-hosted development. The documentation unfortunately still had some references (which 
I've now removed) to those files.

You could probably start any programs in your .profile.
Hi Steve, 

thanks for your reply. Can you please clarify a bit the connection between self-hosted development and rc.local? I was 
actually trying to start the sshd deamon, which was provided with the Neutrino VM image I downloaded. Also, starting 
things from .profile is fine for some situations, but not for my use case of sshd, because I want to be able to log into
 the system remotely, even when my user is not logged in locally. There are also other situations where processes need 
to be started before a user logs in.

Also, which documentation are you refering to? The document I am following is "QNX Neutrino RTOS User's Guide" 
downloaded from the official website about two months ago. It mentions rc.local 10 times, while startup_aps.sh/startup.
sh are not mentioned at all. 

Thanks and best regards,
damjan
QNX SDP 6.6 doesn't support self-hosted development systems, so we no longer ship device enumerators, diskboot, etc. It 
was diskboot that ran rc.sysint and rc.local.

The Neutrino User's Guide used to have a chapter on controlling how Neutrino starts, but it was removed in 6.6 because 
it no longer applied. I guess a few references to rc.local and rc.sysinit got missed in the documentation. We've 
recently removed them, and we hope to update the docs on the website soon.

The buildfile for the virtual machine runs startup.sh, but I haven't tried using it. The startup_aps.sh script is 
supposed to be for a virtual machine that's running adaptive partitioning, but I don't think we provided one of those--
I'm not sure why it's included in the virtual machine
Correction: the virtual machine includes two OS images:

bios_smp.ifs
bios_smp_aps.ifs

The first runs startup.sh when it starts, and the second runs startup_aps.sh (and adaptive partitioning). When you boot,
 you should see a message like this:

starting services and networking in /etc/rc.d/startup_aps.sh script

You should be able to start sshd in whichever of these scripts you use.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Steve, it cleared things up for me. I was wondering what happened to the "
Controlling how Neutrino starts" chapter :)

I've added code to start sshd to startup_aps.h (as the VM seems to default to adaptive partitioning) and its working 
fine.

Best,
damjan
That's great! I've added more details to the note on installing and using the virtual machine.
Build files used to create the default ifs images included on the posted VMware creation ISO
Attachment: Compressed file BuildFiles.zip 2.93 KB