Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - New QNX User: Installing Momentics on VMware QNX 6.5 appliance?: (8 Items)

New QNX User: Installing Momentics on VMware QNX 6.5 appliance?  
Good morning, all... New QNX user here, installed the QNX 6.5 appliance for VMware Player and it is running well.  I 
used the install file 650SP1-VM.tar available at http://www.qnx.com/download/feature.html?programid=23665.  That is a 
VMware image already pre-installed, i.e. it's not an ISO file that requires installation on VMware.  It includes the QNX
 GUI (Photon?) and a basic selection of Unix tools like gzip, sed, tar, etc.  It does not include Momentics or any other
 development environment, and does not include any compilers.

Now looking for information on how to install the Momentics IDE on the QNX appliance, if that can be done.

I looked in the "Documents" tab at the top of the QNX Community VMware Project forum and it is empty.  I have downloaded
 all of the other documentation available at http://www.qnx.com/download/group.html?programid=20905 ("QNX Software 
Development Platform 6.5.x") and read through those ones that look like they may apply.  I have seen a few places that 
read that Momentics can not be installed on a native QNX platform, and yet there are ISOs available like qnxsdp-6.5.0-
201007091524-dvd.iso and qnxsdp-6.5.0SP1.iso that appear to do just that... they install Neutrino and Momentics on a 
clean disk partition.  I will try doing that on a clean VMware virtual machine but meanwhile would like to see if I can 
install Momentics on the VM I already have running.

Any information appreciated... thanks...
Re: New QNX User: Installing Momentics on VMware QNX 6.5 appliance?  
The IDE is supported only on Windows and Linux hosts. On self-hosted QNX Neutrino 6.5 systems, the QNX Momentics Tool 
Suite includes just the command-line tools.
Good afternoon, Steve.

Thanks for confirming that, and for the fast response.  The VMware QNX 6.5 appliance doesn't appear to have the 
development command line tools installed, either (e.g. compiler, make, ...), or very much else other than the basic Unix
 and GUI apps and utilities.  I'm assuming I have to get and install all that stuff myself which is perfectly fine, if I
 can get a pointer to the docs that explain what to do, happy to RTFM.

Thanks...
Sorry--it's been a while since 6.5 was released. Yes, you're right: the VMware image is just a runtime system, and there
 isn't an easy way to install the tools on it. If you want a development system, you'll have to install the self-hosted 
version of QNX SDP (6.5.0 and then 6.5.0 SP1).

OK, that should be fine... if I'm going to do that, though, I may as well install 6.6, right?
6.6 doesn't include a self-hosted development system. You have to develop your applications on a Windows or Linux host.
> 6.6 doesn't include a self-hosted development system. You have to develop your
>  applications on a Windows or Linux host.

OK.  If I'm going to use Momentics IDE I need to do that (develop on Win/Lin) anyway, right?
Yes, that's right.