Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Running QNX on VM-Ware Server: (7 Items)

Running QNX on VM-Ware Server  
Hello,

I remember some efforts have been made to run QNX on VM-Ware server and ESX versions. One of the main problems was the 
emulated LSI SCSI controller which was not supported by any driver. Has anyone found a way around this issue yet?

Thanks,

Bjoern
Re: Running QNX on VM-Ware Server  
I recently  used to use for Neutrino emulation  VMWare server 2.0 Beta during couple of months, and I don't remember any
 serious problem besides regular bugs usual for any beta version.
Were you using the IDE rather than SCSI emulation?

Does VSX server emulate IDE at all?  What about ESX?

Alex Chapiro wrote:
> I recently  used to use for Neutrino emulation  VMWare server 2.0 Beta 
> during couple of months, and I don't remember any serious problem 
> besides regular bugs usual for any beta version.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post5162
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
I use VMware server extensively. So far I'm running QNX4, 6.2.1 and 6.3.x. It's been rock solid. The IDE emulation works
 just fine. It's the equivalent of VMware Workstation 5, I believe. 

I did actually have the SCSI driver going. That was a while ago and may have only been workstation. And I think there 
was some .vmx file option to change the driver from LSI to something we supported. But since the IDE works so well (and 
according to VMware there is no performance difference between SCSI and IDE) I didn't pursue it any further.

This is using VMware Server 1.0.2

I have no experience with ESX, though. Given that you are supposed to be able to move VMs around I would be rather 
surprised if it was radically different...

Hope that helps,
Keith
Keith,

Can you please tell what was the change involved in the .vmx file for the SCSI device?

Thanks
> Hello,
> 
> I remember some efforts have been made to run QNX on VM-Ware server and ESX 
> versions. One of the main problems was the emulated LSI SCSI controller which 
> was not supported by any driver. Has anyone found a way around this issue yet?
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
>     Bjoern

The following thread is my current take on making QNX 6.3.2 it work on ESX.

http://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bsp/discussion.bsp.topc2475

- Mario
> Hello,
> 
> I remember some efforts have been made to run QNX on VM-Ware server and ESX 
> versions. One of the main problems was the emulated LSI SCSI controller which 
> was not supported by any driver. Has anyone found a way around this issue yet?
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
>     Bjoern

It can be made to work on ESX, but it takes some voodoo work.  The install CD doesn't detect the LSI controler.  In fact
 the .boot file doesn't even have the necessary driver.  But you can boot from the CD and then run the OS from it.  

Once that done you need to start devb-btmm btmm ioport=1060,irq=9.  I guess ioport and irq could change.  Unfortunately 
devb-btmm doesn't support pci vendor and device it.

Once that's done, you need to manually setup the HD ( fdisk, dinit, etc ) and then via QNET make a copy of another 
machine HD content.

And then finally you need to make a custom boot image and start devb-btmm before diskboot:

devb-btmm blk auto=partition btmm ioport=1060,irq=9
waitfor /dev/hd0t79
diskboot....

- Mario