Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Welcome to the Vmware General Forum: (10 Items)

Welcome to the Vmware General Forum  
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to discuss new ideas and further development of tools and drivers to aid
 in running QNX under VMware.

Rick..
Re: Welcome to the Vmware General Forum  
Hello Rick, 

Nice to see you back in the game. Do you plan on re-issuing a version of vmtoold? 

- Mario
Thanks.  The original vmtoold is already online here (and in svn)
http://community.qnx.com/sf/frs/do/listReleases/projects.vmware/frs.old_qnx_vmtools_pkg

It may be the basis for expansion using information and code gleaned from the Open VM Tools project - or not. ;-)  That 
is all part of the discussion here.

Rick..
I don't want to sound to nieve, but I would like to know a bit more about why and what development is needed for QNX 6.3
 under VMware.   Is there such a thing as a virtual driver, say for video or hard drive, that is specific to VMware?  
Also, what is this vmtoold you are refering to?  

While we're on the subject, could a QNX 6.3 network be created between two QNX VM's inside of VMware, or even between 
one inside and one outside?   

Finally, is there a particular host for VM that works best, ie. Linux vs. XP?
> I don't want to sound to nieve, but I would like to know a bit more about why 
> and what development is needed for QNX 6.3 under VMware.   Is there such a 
> thing as a virtual driver, say for video or hard drive, that is specific to 
> VMware?  Also, what is this vmtoold you are refering to?  

Yes, there are specific drivers which can be written to "know" they are in a vm and are better at accelarating because 
of that.  devg-vmware.so is an example (video driver).

vmtoold is a program which myself and others wrote a couple years ago which provides some of the functionality that 
VMware had been providing for other guest OSs.  In particular, it syncs the time between the host and guest OS.  It also
 shares (somewhat lamely) the clipboard between the two - you can cut in QNX and paste in Windows and vice versa.  
Lastly it manages grabbing and ungrabbing the mouse so you can quickly move between QNX and Windows without any extra 
keystrokes (which is the default).

> 
> While we're on the subject, could a QNX 6.3 network be created between two QNX
>  VM's inside of VMware, or even between one inside and one outside?   

I have created a network of QNX virtual instances running on my laptop to demonstrate a shared distributed database 
application I wrote - so yes.  We also use it to connect to our external hardware (via serial or tcpip) occasionally.

> 
> Finally, is there a particular host for VM that works best, ie. Linux vs. XP?

I have only played with the Windows version so I can't comment on that.  If they used the same license for both, I could
 experiment, but right now I need to use Windows (at work anyway), so this gives me the best of both.

Rick..
> I don't want to sound to nieve, but I would like to know a bit more about why 
> and what development is needed for QNX 6.3 under VMware.   Is there such a 
> thing as a virtual driver, say for video or hard drive, that is specific to 
> VMware?  Also, what is this vmtoold you are refering to?  
> 
> While we're on the subject, could a QNX 6.3 network be created between two QNX
>  VM's inside of VMware, or even between one inside and one outside?   

I once had 4 QNX4 vm machines running at the same time and exchanging data ( for testing automap )

> 
> Finally, is there a particular host for VM that works best, ie. Linux vs. XP?

Browsing the VmWare forum it seems XP is best.  Some recommend having a separate HD to hold the vm filesystem.  Also 
lots of RAM is the key.

Hi all. XP seems to be the best platform for running VMware. I run VM WS6 on an x64 XP Pro machine. Using the x64 allows
 me to install more memory (currently at 8GB). I have created a VM Team consisting of eight virtual machines (1 2003 
Server, 1 XP Pro, and 6 QNX 6.3. I have two virtual networks setup. All QNX VM's talk over virtual LAN 2. One of the QNX
 VM's has a seond virtual NIC that is used to talk to the Windows VM's.

All works great.
Hello Rick, 

Nice to see you back in the game. Can you kindly re-issue the previous ACPI driver. 

Many people is looking for the source code previously on the http://projects.qnxzone.com/projects/phan/.  

-Joseph Wu
Hello Rick, 

Nice to see you back in the game. Can you kindly re-issue the previous ACPI driver. 

Many people is looking for the source code previously on the http://projects.qnxzone.com/projects/phan/.  

-Joseph Wu
Hello Rick, 

-Joseph Wu